Keep the CETME pure! Scope=no go...

FAL, G-3 and L1A1 rifles.
kayakingsteve

Keep the CETME pure! Scope=no go...

Post by kayakingsteve » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Someone posted, I think on this forum, that the CETME is a true "Battle Rifle" and not to try to mount a lot of hardware on it. I would like to second that!

After spending 2 months playing with scope mounts and 4 different scopes, I finally removed all the nonsense and am shooting better groups using the plain old iron sites. The gun is lighter, I don't have to worry about the optics being off in a "Grab n' Go" type situation and I'm developing a better feel for the gun overall, IMHO.

This last bit isn't for everyone, but since the stock is so diminutive my eyes were too close to the open sight for 100 yards to see it clearly, but the 200 yard peep setting gave me a good clean picture. I decided to adjust the front elevation screw so I could use the 200 yard peep sight for my 100 yard sight, and then, because there was some play in the stock sights and I TRULY didn't want to screw with the gun anymore, I welded the front and rear sight into the position I liked... It's crude but works great and no more wondering about my sights when I truly want to pick up the gun and shoot!

PzGren

Re: Keep the CETME pure! Scope=no go...

Post by PzGren » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:27 am

The Cetme/ HK G3 was also used as a sniper rifle and issued to West German snipers during the cold war. After Germany had scrapped their G3's they have bought over 1,000 new ones as dedicated marksmanrifles for use in Afghanistan with the same old Hensoldt scopes.

Just like the one I was issued in the 173rd.

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:40 pm

I miss my cetmes and PTR91. [smilie=012.gif]

Totally agree on the no scope thing... I LOVE the sights on the HK styled PTR91, and like a lot the cetme sights.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:19 pm

you might be doing something wrong [smilie=011.gif]
how about a pistol with a scope ...lol [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.