Modify CAI Cetme for HK mags

FAL, G-3 and L1A1 rifles.
g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Modify CAI Cetme for HK mags

Post by g34man » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:49 pm

Can someone post up a picture on what they did to modify the mag catch so that a Century Cetme would accept HK mags. I did some searching on the net but didnt find any good pictures.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Modify CAI Cetme for HK mags

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:31 pm

there is no need to modify the mag catch, you modify the mags, I'll go take a few pics of where you need to file to fit, the mags are $ 1 each, so its cheaper to mod them over the catch which may after modification, not work for regular CETME mags
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:56 pm

on the left side of the mag you will see where the mag catch would grab a hold of the mag, you should be able to tell after a few insertions where ( if any ) it need filing, its usually on the bottom in the catch area , ( also make sure mag is empty, not for safety, just harder to adjust with rounds in the mag )
sometimes its the mag well that is just a little long , with so many variations in the CETME receiver design ( cast, stamped ..etc ) the line of mag stops, on the mag itself sometimes need a little brush with the file ...see pic ...hold file against all 3 at the same time, try to use a little upward pressure on your grip , not to dig into the mag body
when you do start filing, do just a little and then check for fit, you want it really tight, trust me and what ever you do, DO NOT break out the Dremel Tool , a couple of passes with a file will be good enough
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Thank you very much. I have 30 mags to modify =D>

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:15 am

g34man wrote:Thank you very much. I have 30 mags to modify =D>
all 30 don't fit ?????? :-k ....WOW

I have about 70 .......G3 mags.....thanks to Odessaman for dumping a bunch more of them on me ...lol

out of the 70, maybe 5 or 6 had serious fit issues, another 10 were tight like they supposed to be and the rest were perfect only a few wobbled...I have a total of 3 CETME's now and receivers to build another 3 projects, I wanted enough of the mags to swap around that fit in each gun....

maybe you should check around to see who might have another CETME near you and test them in another rifle first.....I have read where guys took a little off the bottom of the mag well, but that was extreme cases, do you have any actual CETME mags to test fit ??

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:26 pm

I've had two cetmes now... in one of them g3 mags fit great... in the other one most wouldn't quite catch. I filed a tiny bit off the mag catch (the top of it IIRC) and they worked after that.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:05 am

Here is an update to my Cetme. I couldnt get one G3 magazine to work. I also bought another Cetme mag that didnt work. So i just bought another Cetme to compare. The new Cetme came with 10 original magazines. Not original Cetme mag would work in my old Cetme. So i take it as a bad build by Century.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:46 am

Rentprop1 wrote:...I have read where guys took a little off the bottom of the mag well, but that was extreme cases, do you have any actual CETME mags to test fit ??
quoting myself , like a boss [smilie=011.gif] , but you may have to modify the mag well or worst case get another receiver and swap everything, I had to do that when someone tried to do a paddle mag conversion and eff'd if up

does it seem like the mags are too short or too long ?? got pics ??

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:53 am

Rent i will try to take some pics of it tonight and measure it against the good one.

g34man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g34man » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:07 am

So i got another 10 Cetme mags and most of them work on the problem Cetme. On my new Cetme they all work and so do unmodified HK mags. Below is a picture of them. They looks so different. Can you pick what one doesnt work well?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:15 pm

I would say the one on the top looks like a cast CETME over a stamped one on the bottom ??. just a guess from that quality up close pic you provided =:wvr [smilie=011.gif]

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:27 pm

The bottom one it looks like they started to do a paddle mag release and then decided against it.

What do they look like on the sides of the receivers? (take another pic)

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Waldo1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:23 pm

Alright, I'm feeling the CETME love fest over here and have always loved the looks of the rifle. I have an FAL that I built years ago and love it as well. I've heard that the CETMEs are rougher on brass, but can be more accurate. I've also heard differing stories about ground bolts, difficult builds, etc. I know that true love has no limits, but if you could only carry 1 out to confront the zombie hoarde, which would it be? [smilie=popcorn.gif]
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." -Harlan Ellison

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:32 pm

As long as it was a good build, without a ground bolt or any of Century's shananigans... I'd take a Cetme or PTR91... cause I like em.

Yes though.. they tear up brass bad. You can get a deflector though to remedy that.

Waldo1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Waldo1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:02 pm

The FAL is not exactly subtle when it comes to brass ejection. Mine puts a nice crease in the right side of each casing when the ejector monkeyhammers it against the side of the receiver in its moment of bliss. Thats the nice thing about the FALs gas system, as you can adjust the depth and size of the deformation in your brass, as well as how hard you want to hit the shooter to your right. Do you want to gently lob hot brass down the back of his collar or do you want to stick it into his head like a hood ornament?
"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity." -Harlan Ellison

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:19 pm

way to get OT guys :ham'r [smilie=011.gif] , lets help g34man fix his gun .....then talk about what reliable 7.62x51 to kill zombies with

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Staying off topic... I think cetmes throw brass further than any known firearm. The good thing about trying to find your brass (only to find that 80% of it is unusable btw) is that it's the only shiny metal 15 yards in front of the shooting line.