Finally Finished! SAR-8 (HK-91 clone)

FAL, G-3 and L1A1 rifles.
M@D-M@X

Finally Finished! SAR-8 (HK-91 clone)

Post by M@D-M@X » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 am

I finally finished my 1994 Springfield Armory's SAR-8. These were licensed copies of the G3 and HK-91 which were produced in Greece by Hellenic Arms Industry or "EBO", using factory tooling purchased from Heckler & Koch. A small number of these HK-91 clones, which are functionally and aesthetically identical to the German-made rifles, were imported into America by Springfield Armory, Inc. and sold under the designation SAR-8. These rifles, which ceased being imported in 1994. Not to be confused with later Springfield-made SAR-8 model rifles which feature cast aluminum receivers and are considered of markedly lower quality, being valued at far less than the original these Greek models.
This rifle has chewed and spit out every type of ammo that I've managed to buy like, old 69' Bulgarian corrosive, copper washed, steel cased ammo, com-block steel lacquered ammo and even its own German surplus DAG ammo. This unit is definitely one of my favorite ones off my collection. Actually.... come to think of it, [smilie=022.gif] they're all my favorite

When I got her out of the box back in 94' it came with a thumbhole (Bell & Carson) stock, a 20 rd. Thermold magazine, lugged threaded barrel & a milled bi-pod rail.

No She's sporting a South African fore grip, G-3 bipod, G-3 carry handle, G-3 birdcage break, G-3 grip & retractable stock, G-3 leather sling, G-3 bayonet adaptor & bayonet, G3 Hensoldt ZF1 4x24 Scope with STANAG claw mount and an X products, X-91 50rd. drum magazine and HK's 20rd. magazines.
Hope you all enjoy the pics.
Last edited by M@D-M@X on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fratres! What we do in life echoes in eternity...."

Disclaimer:
Any governmental agencies monitoring this thread should know, that I no longer own any weapons of any type. Any serial number of an autoloading rifle and or pistol linked to me is either in error of your filing system or has been sold in an untraceable, yet legal way.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Finally Finished! SAR-8 (HK-91 clone)

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:42 pm

M@D-M@X wrote:
When I got her out of the box back in 94' it came with a thumbhole stock, a 20 rd.
I actually had one with a wood stock like this , in 2004 when the AWB expired and I converted it and sold it, I tossed the stock, now I wish I had kept it #-o
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:11 pm

that thumbhole walnut one heck of a chunk of wood
do you reload your flute marked brass?
that assumes you are able to find it
hk 91 has the award for furthest flung brass 15-20 yards down range to the right

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:14 pm

As someone whos repeatedly tried teh HK clone .308. How do you work around the lack of a proper paddle release? I cannot reach the button without shifting my grip all over and as a result hate the things?

That said, yours is very nice, I wish mine had been 1/2 that nice
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Very nice, I feel pity for you having to feed that beast.... [smilie=011.gif]
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

M@D-M@X

Post by M@D-M@X » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
M@D-M@X wrote:
When I got her out of the box back in 94' it came with a thumbhole stock, a 20 rd.
I actually had one with a wood stock like this , in 2004 when the AWB expired and I converted it and sold it, I tossed the stock, now I wish I had kept it #-o
I don't wish to make you feel any worst than you probably already do from tossing it [smilie=012.gif] but, I could only assume it was really rare since I've never seen a original natural finished furniture on a SAR model. Thanks for the pic.
hurricanecharlie wrote:that thumbhole walnut one heck of a chunk of wood
do you reload your flute marked brass?
that assumes you are able to find it
hk 91 has the award for furthest flung brass 15-20 yards down range to the right
I don't reload for several reasons. I mostly shoot surplus which is mostly not reload-able, some military type auto rifles have a tendency to really beat up the brass, it takes a lot of time and work and limits your shooting styles. In consideration on how things are at this time and how they'll probably end up in the future, reloading might turn out to be the best option for most of us.
NonConformist wrote:As someone whos repeatedly tried teh HK clone .308. How do you work around the lack of a proper paddle release? I cannot reach the button without shifting my grip all over and as a result hate the things?

That said, yours is very nice, I wish mine had been 1/2 that nice
The mechanics and ergonomics of this platform are not the same as in your now mainstream AR manipulation, as a matter of fact the release button or paddle are both out of reach for the primary hand (trigger hand). As a right handed individual this platform forces me to disengage my primary hand to conduct the magazine change by simply grabbing the mag and simultaneously with my thumb pressing the release button for magazine extraction and all this while my secondary hand (forearm) is holding the platform firmly in place and in field of view. The paddle lever gives you the ability and the option to conduct the magazine change with your secondary hand as well regardless if you're a righty or a lefty similar to an AK platform. The only drawback on your secondary hand conducting the magazine change is that this platform weights in at a hefty 12lbs empty and also front heavy. Relying on your primary hand to hold this platform unsupported, at your field of view while swapping mags is quite a task, at least for me =:wvr
Glad you like it [smilie=cheers1.gif]

captain steinbrenner wrote:Very nice, I feel pity for you having to feed that beast.... [smilie=011.gif]
I got plenty stashed away but you ain't kidding!! $1 a pop now these days stinks [smilie=042.gif]. I used to run plenty thru her in the early days when she was my prime toy. She is a bit on the heavy side and the recoil with the re-tractable stock makes your shoulder tender quick but don't get me wrong, she is a blast to shoot and always a pleasure to stretch her legs.
"Fratres! What we do in life echoes in eternity...."

Disclaimer:
Any governmental agencies monitoring this thread should know, that I no longer own any weapons of any type. Any serial number of an autoloading rifle and or pistol linked to me is either in error of your filing system or has been sold in an untraceable, yet legal way.

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:23 pm

Gorgeous. I love the HK91 style rifles, including Cetmes (even though Cetmes came first, I know), and hope that someday I can get another one.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 pm

captain steinbrenner wrote:Very nice, I feel pity for you having to feed that beast.... [smilie=011.gif]
and that is the predominate reason I got away from .308s. I had a nice Century C91(Hk 'Clone'), and one day I went through a mag, and it dawned on me "Damn, that was 20 dollars of ammo!" [smilie=pdt_xtremez_10.gif] sold it thereafter :/
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

SteyrAUG
Life Member
Life Member

Post by SteyrAUG » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:33 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
M@D-M@X wrote:

You actually had an Orion stock. Very few came in like that, very rare.
Steyr808@yahoo.com
FFL Broward County, FL

SteyrAUG
Life Member
Life Member

Post by SteyrAUG » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:36 am

NonConformist wrote:As someone whos repeatedly tried teh HK clone .308. How do you work around the lack of a proper paddle release? I cannot reach the button without shifting my grip all over and as a result hate the things?
Same way I deal with the fact that I can't do one finger mag changes on any of my AKs, AUGs and a few other rifles.

You can install a Tac Latch (no gunsmithing but works left to right) or send it to a smith to install the paddle magazine release. But even with a paddle you can't use your shooting hand index finger.
Steyr808@yahoo.com
FFL Broward County, FL

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:58 am

SteyrAUG wrote:

You actually had an Orion stock. Very few came in like that, very rare.
I don't know what Orion was, but it said HK on the butt pad...you know this topic was 8 months old right :ham'r [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.