Can anyone recommend a Jax area HK91 gunsmith?

FAL, G-3 and L1A1 rifles.
JBubba57

Can anyone recommend a Jax area HK91 gunsmith?

Post by JBubba57 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:21 pm

I just bought a used HK91 and I'd like to get it checked out, so I can shoot it.
Jacksonville area, but could travel up to 2 hours one way for a good person.
Thanks.
Jesse
JBubba57@aol.com

hunt the evil

Re: Can anyone recommend a Jax area HK91 gunsmith?

Post by hunt the evil » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 pm

You may want to check with ST. Nicholas Gun and Sporting Goods on Blanding. I don't know that they work on the HK91, but they seem knowledgeable in smithing most firearms. I hope this helps.

JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:56 pm

Thank you, I've never visited St. Nicholas, always wanted to. I'll look into the matter further.
GPI on Powers Ave. was another suggestion I received. I've been in there and heard them talking AR-15 and they sure sound like they know what they're doing. It's that equivalent for the HK rifles that I'd prefer to find.
Thanks again.

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Don't you just need to get a set of feeler gauges and check the "headspacing" (although it's not really headspacing due to the roller blowback design... it's more of a lockup or something)? There's good write ups on hkpro.com about it. I seem to remember needing to be around .013", IIRC.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Villafuego

Post by Villafuego » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 pm

kmagnuss wrote:Don't you just need to get a set of feeler gauges and check the "headspacing" (although it's not really headspacing due to the roller blowback design... it's more of a lockup or something)? There's good write ups on hkpro.com about it. I seem to remember needing to be around .013", IIRC.
Thats about it.......let the bolt run forward on an empty chamber, drop the hammer, and check the gap between the bolt head and carrier with your feeler gauge......010 to .020 is about right.....even if it's less, most HK91's run just fine.....just consider oversize locking rollers if you plan to do a lot of shooting....

A bolt gap that's too small doesn't necessarily mean the rifle is unsafe to fire.....but it may stop functioning as a semi auto!!!!!

Lots of videos out there......here is one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipeC1Yq2F4M

JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:20 pm

The headspace is always mentioned because of the risk of bodily injury or damage to the gun if a round fires with the headspace too large. I don't have a headspace gauge set. I do have the HK maintenance guide and the recommended spacing (don't remember it, not at home right now to check). But it's the springs and buffers, etc., that I wanted to make sure were all there and in good condition, having bought the weapon on-line and "as is," plus a good cleaning and lubrication internally would be nice to do at the same time.

I'll look at the video, too, so thanks.