Looking for a short bbl for my FN

FAL, G-3 and L1A1 rifles.
cochise

Looking for a short bbl for my FN

Post by cochise » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:37 pm

I would like to ask if anyone knows if I can buy a short barrel assembly for an old metric FN FAL. I know they have new rifles with the short a bbl and small flash hider. Years ago when I bought my FN they did not have short barrels available. It would be nice to have the complete set, gas tube etc, that way it would be easy to swap out.
Jim
NRA Pistol Instr

cbr954fz1

Re: Looking for a short bbl for my FN

Post by cbr954fz1 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:34 am

well, i see your point but the rec is timed to the barrel and is headspaced ..so buying a rec, complete upper, timing it you might as well put another lower on and have a complete fal..but interchanging the lower from para to stock is easier..i think the top one is what your trying to do..

the top is a 16" and the 2 para's are 18"s..

Big Bore Lover

Post by Big Bore Lover » Tue May 08, 2012 11:52 am

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it.

cochise

Post by cochise » Fri May 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Yes that's what I had in mind. Thanks for the replies. I remember when you could buy a complete "upper" in Shotgun News with a stock, as " parts " and build what you wanted. Not anymore I found out. It is a bit more expensive than I thought it was going to be to have interchangeable bbl's.
Jim
NRA Pistol Instr

mohshard
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mohshard » Sun May 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Yes that's what I had in mind. Thanks for the replies. I remember when you could buy a complete "upper" in Shotgun News with a stock, as " parts " and build what you wanted. Not anymore I found out. It is a bit more expensive than I thought it was going to be to have interchangeable bbl's.
The days of the import Argentinian "uppers" and "lowers" was to get around fed regs for building rifles without compliance parts. They were a great price, but those days are over.
FAL bbls aren't being imported anymore, and the prices on kits and stuff is getting crazy.
The upper receiver is around $350, and re-barreling a FAL receiver is a lot of work. I've got one FAL that I pulled a bbl on and replaced with a 18" bbl. It was not easy.

If you just want a carbine bbl in good shape to build up let me know. I've got a 18" bbl I reserved but won't build at this point. Also a few other parts.

James

PARAFAL308

Post by PARAFAL308 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:15 pm

cbr954fz1 wrote:well, i see your point but the rec is timed to the barrel and is headspaced ..so buying a rec, complete upper, timing it you might as well put another lower on and have a complete fal..but interchanging the lower from para to stock is easier..i think the top one is what your trying to do..

LOL!!!
Well Well, look who's here!!!

Hey CBR, what is a PARA anyway?? :-k

cbr954fz1

Post by cbr954fz1 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:41 pm

"parafal308" or should in say "dynomike"...whats up w/the new name? i'm not gonna remember all these allias :ham'r ..whats going on bro? there are'nt that many falers here that i've seen...fal post here are kinda far apart, but thats all right i guess..and a "parafal" is you now.. i guess [smilie=011.gif]

PARAFAL308

Post by PARAFAL308 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 pm

cbr954fz1 wrote:"parafal308" or should in say "dynomike"...whats up w/the new name? i'm not gonna remember all these allias :ham'r ..whats going on bro? there are'nt that many falers here that i've seen...fal post here are kinda far apart, but thats all right i guess..and a "parafal" is you now.. i guess [smilie=011.gif]
Well I figured since I don't run the DYNO anymore it was time for a new handle.. MEBE I should have just left it alone to avoid any internet forum confusion... [smilie=011.gif]
You can still call me that though...

It's all good Bro, workin ya know.. Off tomorrow though as well as Thur so I'll be shooting then fer sher..
You should take the day off and come as well... :ham'r

Might be we can convert a few members to the FAL and show them how good they are..

Yea I guess I do know what a PARA is huh... [smilie=011.gif]