Help identify this ak variant?

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
KrinkovMan

Help identify this ak variant?

Post by KrinkovMan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:01 pm

I picked this under folder up from a local FFL and it looks like its maybe a parts kit built on a ITM arms receiver. They listed it as an ITM arms AK it has all US made furniture Tapco G2 trigger Tapco Piston also. Does any one have any info on this gun?

KrinkovMan

Re: Help identify this ak variant?

Post by KrinkovMan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:19 pm

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:47 am

Pictures suck...how about a close up of the left side trunion
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

KrinkovMan

Post by KrinkovMan » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:55 am

Yea I had to upload them to some web site since the forum does not have an integrated picture upload feature i will upload some better pictures.

KrinkovMan

Post by KrinkovMan » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:00 am

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:45 am

I'm thinking it's a mutt different AK parts on an OOW receiver ....

Looking at my Hungarian underfolder it is completely different as is the front trunion..... when you compare it to a Polish underfolder trunion and underfolder are slightly different from yours ......so it looks like a mismatch of parts I think NorincoKid is a little more knowledgeable on each and every type of underfolder and will be along shortly....
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:37 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:I think NorincoKid is a little more knowledgeable on each and every type of underfolder and will be along shortly....
Its hard to say from the pics.

Id "guess" later MFG Hungarian AK63D from what I can see.

All numbers match? If so, and the gas tube matches everything else, id be 99% sure its Hungarian in the front half anyways.

Vented Gas tube? Looks like it but hard to see. If so, Hungarian. I dont think stamped Polish AKM's used them, the older milled/early guns did though.

The serial number arrangement on the trunnion looks like every Hungarian I've had, identical 2 letter, space, then numbers. Some have 1 letter, then numbers. A polish military trunnion would have the 11 in a circle, romanians etc were different as well. Im not expert, but looks hungarian to me.

I cant tell the UF's apart between polish or hungarian. One of them uses a welded trunnion, the other is one piece usually though. They're super close, pretty much interchangeable.

Check the barrel for proofs and markings under the handguards and gas tube. Usually a string of numbers (four) and other markings. If none, probably USA barrel. If it has the proofs/journal sizes marked on it its probably the original CHF & CL barrel (bonus!)

Another clue would be the lower handguard retainer. Some pics of that would help quite a bit, as the hungarian AK's had odd/non-standard lower handguard retainers that would have to modified to fit a standard HG, or the handguard modified to fit the non-standard retainer.

A standard AKM retainer will have one hole drilled, for the cleaning rod.

A hungarian retainer will have two holes, (sometimes 3) drilled into it. One for cleaning rod, one next to it just to be different and spunky.

The front trunnion, if hungarian, will be squared off at the bottom. Polish/Romanian etc will be more octogon shaped.

heres example;

AKM (polish) below;

and Hungarian AK63D (or AMD65) below

Are there any other markings on the receiver? IE in front of the magazine well on the bottom of receiver, between mag and handguard?

Doesnt look bad though. Rivets look good from what I can see, but not sure whats going on with the top most rivet there, selector side, upper/rear UF rivet... But a kit build for sure.

Also, theres really no point in "hiding" the trunnion numbers from us. Thats not the serial number of your gun, the US made (ITM) receiver should be serialized and thats the actual part which is the "firearm". [smilie=cheers1.gif]

KrinkovMan

Post by KrinkovMan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:00 am

Wow, NorincoKid thank you for sharing that information. I will check the things you mentioned and I will post back with some more pictures!