Century Arms RAS 47- Any comments?

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
TheProdigy

Century Arms RAS 47- Any comments?

Post by TheProdigy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:26 pm

I've been looking into the AK market, ultimately I'm trying to pick one up before elections come around because prices are still pretty fair at the moment. I own a Colt LE 6920 that I've done a lot of work to like adding a free float 16 inch barrel and getting an aimpoint comp ML3, however as much as I love that setup I want an AK for it's harder hitting 30 caliber bullet, reliability for SHTF and of course the prices of 7.62x39 being significantly cheaper than 5.56 or .223. That being said I stumbled on the RAS 47 a 100% American made stamped AK, Atlantic Firearms has them listed for 569 at for the wood stocked model. Does anyone have and experience or trigger time behind one of them and can tell me if they are worth getting or if I should look into other rifles in the same price range (500-700 dollars) like that O-Pap's or N-paps or newer Wasr 10's. Thanks guys!
Si vis pacem, para bellum- If you want peace, prepare for war.

beradon

Re: Century Arms RAS 47- Any comments?

Post by beradon » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:17 pm

I don't have any first hand experience with the RAS 47 but the guys on one of the AK sites say they are junk. InterOrdnance have a lousy reputation too but most AK shooters are real happy with the Zastava & modern WASR. Todays WASRs are a big improvement over yesterdays WASRs and mine runs like a swiss watch
Glock Armorer
X-Military

NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:43 am

I dont' own one, but have a little input, not sure how helpful it will be.

The RAS47 is the supposedly "All American Built AK" right?

Id try to get an imported one while theyre still around, and at a decent price.

A Zastava, or as the guy above me said, the new WASR. They do seem to be alot better than the early ban-era guns.

Or a perhaps try to find a decent used Saiga (standard or converted). They are good rifles, and can be brought to AK spec with a little time and $$. Probably as close to a russian AK as you'll get. There are also still some VEPR's floating around.

TheProdigy

Post by TheProdigy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:27 am

Thank you both! I have heard a lot of negatives about the RAS 47's from forums and other personal friends however every online reviewer speaks highly about them. Maybe century is giving them a kickback who knows.
Si vis pacem, para bellum- If you want peace, prepare for war.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:35 pm

TheProdigy wrote: I should look into other rifles in the same price range (500-700 dollars) like that O-Pap's or N-paps or newer Wasr 10's. Thanks guys!
You answered your own question. GARY

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:39 am

TheProdigy wrote: Maybe century is giving them a kickback who knows.
No kickback needed. Give a good review or they'll stop letting you evaluate (play with) their toys. This sort of crony journalism is endemic to reviews of firearms and automobiles .
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Gmountain
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gmountain » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:47 am

Well hell, I just got one. It looks pretty nice. I'll give it a whirl.

I've seen a couple of people complaining about them, and those same people keep popping up anytime the RAS is mentioned and they keep complaining. So out of about 50,000 sold, there are about 4 or 5 with problems. Everyone else seems to like them.

Those guys on AKfiles are just like the gear snobs on Arfcom. If it's not Noveske or Larue, then you have crap. Same on AKfiles. The same few guys are gear snobs and will insult the hell out of anyone who dares to call them out.

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:59 pm

I've heard nothing but bad about the RAS-47 and seen tons of photos and videos of them bricking online, as well as failed hardness tests, etc.

If it's something you're going to shoot maybe a couple times a year, then go for it. I wouldn't trust it for anything more than an occasional range gun.