Saiga doesn't lock bolt back on last shot

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Saiga doesn't lock bolt back on last shot

Post by czharry » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:24 pm

I have a box stock Saiga. It's kind of annoying when my last trigger pull is always "click", because the bolt doesn't lock back after the last shot. I don't always count rounds when I'm concentrating on shot placement.
Is this normal, or is there a problem?

ETA: I was just inspecting the mags. They are plastic and I don't see or feel any metal at the feed lips. I guess maybe that's the reason. Is it?
Now, I'm thinking that stripping off round after round, the feed lips will eventually wear out.
There's a storm coming.

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Saiga doesn't lock bolt back on last shot

Post by 305tillimoved » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Neither my 20 or 410 lock back. :-k
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:28 pm

305tillimoved wrote:Neither my 20 or 410 lock back. :-k

I believe you have to modify it if you want it to lock back, but there is a bolt hold open on the gun, if you're good you can hold pressure up on t he last shot.....the factory internal BHO does not automatically hold the bolt open. It is finger actuated and is also manually operated.

a lot of folks take out the BHO, or cut a notch in the safety ??

maybe check with Carolina Shooters Supply and see what they offer
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 pm

Well, I checked Carolina Shooters Supply.
Only thing available were new US made mags which were $28.95 + $7.95 = $36.95 each.
All mags have last round bolt open feature.

I guess I'll just stay with what I have. Too bad the factory couldn't have included that feature.
There's a storm coming.

Dick

Post by Dick » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 am

But soon as you take out the mag the bolt slides foward.. My yugo rifles came with BHO mags and the m92pap pistols came with safeties that have notches cut to hold the bolt but you have to manually engage.

cvasqu03
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cvasqu03 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:46 am

Aside from the trigger group mechanism, the Saiga operates like a basic AK which was not designed with a bolt hold open feature. Some Saigas have a bolt hold open lever that can be manually activated but these don't engage automatically, they're mostly if you want to pull the bolt back and lock it in place. There are some mags that have a bolt hold open feature but these are simply mags with a redesigned follower that gets in the way of the bolt when they're empty which is not what I consider a very good way to go about it as it will cause the problem you mentioned with the bolt flying forward once you remove the mag.

That's just the way the rifle was designed.
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:52 am

cvasqu03 wrote:...................
I use the manually activated BHO lever, at least it has one and it's especially useful at the range when the RO walks by to check that everyone's rifle is 'safe' when the range goes cold.
I'm happy with the Saiga, works every time, and shoots "cheap" ammo. A lot of people like to modify them into an AK configuration, but this commercial "Sporter" version is fine with me. I previously purchased a scope mount from Carolina Shooters Supply.
I'm just used to the BHO feature of my other rifles.
There's a storm coming.

macattack321
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by macattack321 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Yep, the hold-open device has to be actuated manually. It's located in front of the trigger guard, on the right-hand side. Push the tab-looking thing up (i.e. into the receiver) while holding the bolt back.

cvasqu03
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cvasqu03 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:47 pm

czharry wrote:
cvasqu03 wrote:...................
I use the manually activated BHO lever, at least it has one and it's especially useful at the range when the RO walks by to check that everyone's rifle is 'safe' when the range goes cold.
I'm happy with the Saiga, works every time, and shoots "cheap" ammo. A lot of people like to modify them into an AK configuration, but this commercial "Sporter" version is fine with me. I previously purchased a scope mount from Carolina Shooters Supply.
I'm just used to the BHO feature of my other rifles.

Yup, I have three of them and only one has the BHO feature and it's basically there for situations like you mentioned of holding the bolt open at the range.

I also like the original configuration. I converted a 20" one to take regular AK mags but I wanted to keep the original configuration instead of putting a pistol grip on it. Since you have to play the parts game I had someone make me a custom Saiga stock (made here in the US) which has a more pronounced grip area but still fits on the way the original stock did. While I was at it I had him drill a hole in the stock so I can store the cleaning kit and I put an SKS buttstock cover with the trapdoor on it.
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.