AK barrel work?

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

AK barrel work?

Post by jwperry » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Is there any place that anyone has found in Florida, specifically in central Florida, where I can drop a 5.56 AK off for a barrel chop and muzzle device permanently attached?

I don't have the muzzle device yet as I wasn't sure if this was something that could be done local. I really have no desire to ship it off, I'd rather drive somewhere and drop it off and pick it up a week or two later.

Anyone with any leads?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: AK barrel work?

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 pm

you might try and call Bruce Dow in Dade City at Dow Arms room

there are a bunch of guys offering AK build services these days =:wvr , but do your homework, just cause they offer and have some fanboi vouching for their work doesn't mean you can't find them asking the most elementary questions about AK work on other forums....YMMV
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dick

Post by Dick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:37 am

What kind of rifle is it? If it's an orig barreled rifle, I wouldn't chop it...

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:16 am

I wanted to put that in my post last night and forgot I'm for what Dick said I wouldn't chop it if its original you can buy a replacement in the 120 range range and sell the original on one of the AK forums a lot of guys would like to have an original full length
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dick

Post by Dick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:24 am

He still doesn't have a flash hider... Gonna need the one pc gas/sight block...

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:42 am

It's an SLR106CR; it has the front sight built into the gas block. I've already taken away any collector value by removing the hand guard cap and swapping out other furniture as I shot it more. Now I'm to the point I want something done on the muzzle end.

It has a faux muzzle device that doesn't do crap besides add 4oz forward of the gas block.
Rentprop1 wrote:you might try and call Bruce Dow in Dade City at Dow Arms room

there are a bunch of guys offering AK build services these days =:wvr , but do your homework, just cause they offer and have some fanboi vouching for their work doesn't mean you can't find them asking the most elementary questions about AK work on other forums....YMMV
I've also seen that the 'quality of the builds' seem directly related to the 'quality of the photography' of said builds. Just because they hire a pro photographer and spit shine their guns for photos doesn't mean they know how to cut/crown/weld something correctly.

I've met a few "gunsmiths" here in Orlando that either out source everything or watch youtube videos to learn what they're doing as they do it. I kinda wish I had never seen behind the curtain...If my options were those hacks, I'd make friends with someone with a band saw and hack it up myself.

Dick

Post by Dick » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 am

You're worried about that much weight? It's an AK, bro...

jwperry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwperry » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:33 pm

I guess it reads that way, but I'm not concerned with leaching that little bit.

I'm trying to improve the functional utility by adding a flash supressor.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:38 pm

sent you a PM on cutting and replacing with this bad boy