AK 74 vs. 47

Avomat Kalashnikov, Samozaryadnyi Karabin Sisyemi type rifles and variants
Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: AK 74 vs. 47

Post by Dr. Dickie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 am

I have owned both, and vastly prefer the 74 over the 47.
It is more accurate and much more pleasing to shoot.
Having said that, I sold my 74 during the last gun hysteria. I could not turn down the price I was offered, and no one else I shoot with had one.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

tector
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tector » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 am

Dr. Dickie wrote:I have owned both, and vastly prefer the 74 over the 47.
It is more accurate and much more pleasing to shoot.
Having said that, I sold my 74 during the last gun hysteria. I could not turn down the price I was offered, and no one else I shoot with had one.
I sold two then as well, but still have three. And ten cans of ammo. And about an equal amount of new production. So Obama & Co. can go f/;k themselves with their possible import restrictions, they'll just make me more money.
SE FL gunshow calendar: http://goo.gl/g0HdM

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.-Swift

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Learned Hand

narcosis2001

Post by narcosis2001 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:14 pm

I have both and love shooting both. As most say, the 74 is much more pleasant to shoot
especially if you're dumping 200-300 rounds at a session. Very accurate at 100 yards
I can go toe to toe with AR 15's all day with my Saiga 74 at half the cost [smilie=011.gif]

scott7891

Post by scott7891 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:34 pm

5.45 is definitely fun to shoot. Now with the surplus import ban one has to rely on imported commercial ammo which too can be cut off as well. I have one '74 but plan on owning only that one since I am worried about future import bans plus it is a near identical copy to what the Russian military uses so being a collector I have a hard time letting it go.

7.62 has gained more traction here with many parts still widely available and made her domestically. Plus Magpul getting in on the AK magazine market will help keep costs down at least on quality mags.

Therefore based on long-term economic conditions the 47 is the better choice.