List showing ACTUAL makers of lowers and who they sell to

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
pyrguns2003
Life Member
Life Member

List showing ACTUAL makers of lowers and who they sell to

Post by pyrguns2003 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:50 pm

Good Info:

Lewis Machine & Tool
LMT
Lauer
DS Arms
PWA
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament
Barrett
Continental Machine Tool
Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE
S&W
MGI
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision
Colt
LAR Manufacturing
LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical
JVP
Double Star
LRB
Mega Machine Shop
Mega
GSE
Dalphon
POF
Alexander Arms
Olympic
Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Palmetto
Dalphon
Frankford
Century (Old)
Sun Devil
Sun Devil forged billet receivers
Superior
Superior Arms

=en

(Thread title edited and thread generally cleaned up to remove nonsensical posts. This information is too good to let get bogged down by people that have trouble reading. Please keep future posts on-track with either questions as to the source of a given lower, or credible information answering such questions. rob_s)
http://www.gunstampa.com
$15.00 FSN Transfers!!!
Wain Roberts Firearms
5631 70th Ave N
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
727-544-7935
Lic FFL for over 35 yrs!

Custom hydrographic printing and firearms refinishing
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
863-797-4226

dee loo

Post by dee loo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks Pam,

Good for a sticky please.
NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Sports Vision Optometrist, Galatians 2:16, John 6:37

fish
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fish » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:30 am

I wonder who makes the Les Baer lowers?
I have used the raw forgings on the bottom of this page:
http://www.lesbaer.com/ar223.html
excellent quality!

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by avmech » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:22 am

Anvil Arms?

Mahamotorworks

Post by Mahamotorworks » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:19 pm

avmech wrote:Anvil Arms?
+1

MAHA

dradw

Post by dradw » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Does DPMS make their own lowers, the cast and the milled?? Is the best way to tell one from the other I was told is the cast lowers have reaised letyters and the milled have indented letters, Is that accurate??
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

force7

Re: Who makes your AR Lower?

Post by force7 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:02 pm

Good list. I'm suprised to see some names on that list that don't manufacture thier recievers. I wonder if it's a licence thing or they're just saving money.
Why don't you hang up and enjoy the view.

bowhunter
Life Member
Life Member
Location: Lake County, FL - sic semper tyrannis - AmeriKa-but seeking the restoration of the Founder's

Post by bowhunter » Tue May 13, 2008 9:49 pm

Thanks Pam... I have a Mega that I really like and wondered who else the manfactured for...
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." – Thomas Jefferson

pyrguns2003
Life Member
Life Member

Post by pyrguns2003 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:05 pm

No problemo. I'll add the other's that have been posted since mine as well. There are a couple of new ones that just hit the market that I have to do some research on.
http://www.gunstampa.com
$15.00 FSN Transfers!!!
Wain Roberts Firearms
5631 70th Ave N
Pinellas Park, FL 33781
727-544-7935
Lic FFL for over 35 yrs!

Custom hydrographic printing and firearms refinishing
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
863-797-4226

tony k
Life Member
Life Member

Post by tony k » Mon May 26, 2008 8:39 am

force7 wrote:Good list. I'm suprised to see some names on that list that don't manufacture thier recievers. I wonder if it's a licence thing or they're just saving money.
Have you ever seen a press strong enough to forge an AR15 lower? It's about the size of my house. But costs a whole lot more, and has zero resale value because its weight makes it impossible to move (you just sell them for scrap steel when you upgrade).

A business needs to sell a lot of product to justify the cost of a forge, and the only way a single gun manufacturer could afford it is if they bought a plant that already had an intact working forge on-site, or they made many different forged components.

If a company wants to make its own lowers, it is much, much cheaper to spend a couple hundred grand on CNC machines and make billet lowers. CNC is also more versatile than a press forge when it comes to making many different components. But the startup costs on a CNC project like that still are beyond many firearms manufacturers.

So yes, it's a matter of cost.

However, the same forge can crank out flawless lowers or junk lowers, depending on the contract's per-unit cost and quality-control requirements. I can guarantee you that Noveske pays more per lower than Century does, even though they both come out of LMT's press forge. But Noveske has a very high reject rate; Century takes whatever LMT ships them.

YMMV.

EODCEXC

Post by EODCEXC » Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 pm

Ther is going to be a new kid on the block soon. I have been to their shop and it is great. The majority of the manufacturers have other companys make their receivers for them. Tactical Machining makes their own. All forged and made to extreme tolerances. I had the opportunity to test some of their prototype guns and was truly impressed. As soon as I can get one for photos I will post them. BTW, I do not have anything to do with the company, they are just in my town.

Detachment Charlie

Post by Detachment Charlie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:37 pm

I actually have an Ameetec. [smilie=pdt_xtremez_32.gif] I have no idea who made the forging, but it's in the same class as my Stag -- possibly with a better trigger.
I am old. I am retired. I am a combat veteran. I am grouchy. I am intolerant, and I am judgemental. I am also alive. Thank you. I am off to the range.

The United Nations is a criminal organization.

wlday

Post by wlday » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 pm

How about a billet lower section?

SMOS/ LaRue
http://www.smosarms.com/SM-15pf1-600.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Magpul
http://www.magpul.com/pics/lower04.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sun Devil
http://www.sundevilmfg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POF
http://www.pof-usa.com/lower/lowerreceiver.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tactical Innovations
http://www.tacticalinc.com/t15bdx-bille ... -1082.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BCW – can not find website
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =101789166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SOCOM Mfg Diamond Series – can not find website

Erik
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Erik » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:39 am

My buddy has an Essential Arms lower. I don't see it on the list. Great list.

Erik
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DAMN THIS SIGNATURE IS FANCY!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

rip2k3

Post by rip2k3 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:21 pm

I have an Tactical Innovations T15BDX CNC billet machined AR15 lower receiver. It is really a work of art. I wish I had the were with all to purchase a half dozen more.

Mr. Smith
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Mr. Smith » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:40 am

OMG, you mean to tell me that Colt doesn’t make their own AR lowers, they’re made by Continental Machine Tool, the same company that makes Stag, RRA, and High Standard!!! Colt must have their own specs or something because I’ve heard that they don’t use the same size pins on their “sport” ARs everyone else does (mil-spec).

And my Bushy lower was made by LAR Manufacturing
, the same company that makes Fulton, and DPMS!!!

I guess the world is becoming more specialized, everything is broken down in its individual parts and then some company specializes in making just that part.

Smith
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon depriving a whole nation of its arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
- Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:41 am

I have a SENDRA reciever made by Dick Drasen it's also not on the list , from the 70's
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:36 pm

so this list is of current manufacturers correct ??? like in the past 5-6 years maybe less - more ??

so what about older lowers from the 70's, 80's and up until a few manuf started making lowers for everyone else ???
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

rob_s
Life Member
Life Member

Post by rob_s » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:34 am

Rent, from what I understand it's always been like this, outside of a few boutique lower manufacturers.

But, the market was different back then too. You had WAY fewer manufacturers of complete guns, so much less overlap in terms of who made parts for who.

Many of today's complete rifler makers were yesterday's lower suppliers to one or two big names. CMT/Stag is a good example of this.
I'll convert an Orlando Disney ride into the world's biggest trebuchet and anyone down here who doesn't know what a grit is will get a free ride north

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:22 pm

wouldn't Quality parts Co and Bushmaster be another examply ??

so is there a way to find out what manufacturer made the SENDRA lowers I have , I know the story behind Dick Drasen and the SENDRA corp., but nothing more than that