What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
Post Reply
DaveM
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:59 am
Location: North Port

What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by DaveM » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm

I'll admit it, I'm a 1911 snob. I see the reason for more expensive models. I don't see it in AR's. What am I missing?

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 23278
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Cant put a price on stupid or crazy....in todays market no AR is worth 2000

Well maybe one with a $1500 night force scope [smilie=011.gif]

I've shot Noveske, LMT, LWRC, PWS and even a KAC.
I've also driven in a Mercedes-Benz, Kia, a Ferrari, and a Porsche....and a reason I prefet Ram trucks
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

User avatar
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5738
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Orlando

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by Gregh181 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Shouldn’t need to spend $2k for an AR itself w no sights or anything. It’s a waste of at least $1k
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

User avatar
Skoll
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Palm Beach

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by Skoll » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 am

DaveM wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I'll admit it, I'm a 1911 snob. I see the reason for more expensive models. I don't see it in AR's. What am I missing?
Like everything else, brand names. They're all made at the same few foundries so people have to jerk themselves off over what rollmark is on their lower so they can strut their safe queen around like it's ever going to see serious use.

If you want to see the internet example of this, there's Arfcom and P&S.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

User avatar
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 5738
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:05 am
Location: Orlando

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by Gregh181 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:56 pm

I just got a pretty nice lookin Aero M4 E1 for $90 out the door 👌
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

cougar_guy04
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:12 pm
Location: Plantation, FL

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by cougar_guy04 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Skoll wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 am
DaveM wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I'll admit it, I'm a 1911 snob. I see the reason for more expensive models. I don't see it in AR's. What am I missing?
Like everything else, brand names. They're all made at the same few foundries so people have to jerk themselves off over what rollmark is on their lower so they can strut their safe queen around like it's ever going to see serious use.

If you want to see the internet example of this, there's Arfcom and P&S.
While a few foundries make the forgings, a lower isn't a lower isn't a lower. What makes the gun is the quality and skill that goes into making and assembling those parts, and the people/machines/processes to do that aren't free. A piece that some companies consider acceptable to ship to a customer, others will throw it in the scrap bin. Same goes for any product/tool (i.e. - Harbor Freight vs. Craftsman/Kobalt vs. Snap-On). I know, I've seen it and lived it. If I want a safe queen, I'm going to go find a 99% Registered Magnum. AR's are tools and will be used as such for me, regardless of the roll mark.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

User avatar
Skoll
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Palm Beach

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by Skoll » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:31 pm

cougar_guy04 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:27 pm
Skoll wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:50 am
DaveM wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I'll admit it, I'm a 1911 snob. I see the reason for more expensive models. I don't see it in AR's. What am I missing?
Like everything else, brand names. They're all made at the same few foundries so people have to jerk themselves off over what rollmark is on their lower so they can strut their safe queen around like it's ever going to see serious use.

If you want to see the internet example of this, there's Arfcom and P&S.
While a few foundries make the forgings, a lower isn't a lower isn't a lower. What makes the gun is the quality and skill that goes into making and assembling those parts, and the people/machines/processes to do that aren't free.
It mostly depends on the specs the companies provide, iirc. I don't remember exactly how it works and definitely there are some better than others but when it all comes down to it, it's all the same metal made by the same guys. Sure, someone at the mill may be less experienced and you have a few looser tolerances (Lookin' at you, Anderson), but I'd say the differences between lets say Colts, Daniel Defenses, BCMs, etc aren't that great to begin with and you're going to pay a premium because people need their Cadillacs.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

User avatar
BIG JOE
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:06 pm
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by BIG JOE » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Same thing that has people spend big $ on a 45. Is it worth it? That's up to you.
BIG JOE
Ft Lauderdale, Fl

User avatar
Skoll
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 363
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:26 pm
Location: Palm Beach

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by Skoll » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:58 pm

Totally, unless it's issued equipment it's like anything else; down to user preference and biases.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.”

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 3119
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:16 pm
Location: PALM BEACH, FLORIDA

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by N4KVE » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:08 am

cougar_guy04 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:27 pm
Same goes for any product/tool (i.e. - Harbor Freight vs. Craftsman/Kobalt vs. Snap-On). I know, I've seen it and lived it. If I want a safe queen, I'm going to go find a 99% Registered Magnum. AR's are tools and will be used as such for me, regardless of the roll mark.
Funny, when I used to work in the GM parts department before doing gun shows, the techs would always be checking out the deals at Harbor Freight. They’d be there every week buying this, & that. So one day I asked them if their Harbor Freight tools were as good as the Snap On tools they used at work. They all replied no way, but they were certainly good enough to use at home on their own vehicles. GARY

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:59 am
Location: North Port

Re: What makes an AR worth more than $2000?

Post by DaveM » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks guys. I feel better now. /:f

Post Reply