AR-15 trigger job

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

AR-15 trigger job

Post by jwillgym » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:02 am

Yesterday I handled an AR-15 that had the best trigger that I had ever felt on one. It was at a pawn shop and it didn't have a "trigger pack", it looked like a normal trigger. That got me researching trigger jobs that you can do yourself. This one had almost no crepe and was light. I would have bought it but they wanted a post school shooting price of $800 for a Plain Jane Bushmaster, so I passed. Have any of you guys done a polish and hand guard set screw set up on yours? If you have how were the results? I'm thinking of doing it to one of mine.
IYAOYAS

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: AR-15 trigger job

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:27 pm

its not worth messing with, go to far and you have to replace the components, get an ALG and be done

https://algdefense.com/lower-parts.html

ALG Defense was founded by William Geissele’s wife, enough said , they just clean up standard mil-spec triggers at 1/4 the cost of a Geissele
Last edited by Rentprop1 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 am

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:27 pm
get an ALG and be done
I have them in all my ARs.

I cant imagine a $200+ trigger being $200 better than that.

Get the adjustable grip screw, and prepare to be amazed for about $75.00
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:01 pm

DO you guys use the ACT or QMS?
IYAOYAS

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:17 pm

I believe it’s the ACT and I agree to they are really great triggers
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:58 am

The ACT is the better of the two, mine have been good but my $100 Larue mbt trigger is far nicer if you spend just a bit more.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:22 am

Also recommend the Laurie MBT. I have a few of them now and they are just as good as my Geisselle which was 2x the price.
Still on sale for $99
https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ta ... s-trigger/
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Ardeekay

Post by Ardeekay » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I've done a few, the screw up the grip cost me $.50 (menards) a bit of emory paper costs $2 or $3.... The springs are the springs... cut a bit off the hammer spring (one side) and it its nicer, but to reduce the pull, ya gotta get a lighter trigger spring... the key here is to take your time, if you rush it, you can ruin things... I got hasty on the set-screw up the grip, altered the safety too much, and ruined it.... The $13 0r $15 dollar gizmo they sell on the net is more of a deal...( grip screw with a adj. screw within..) The cutting of the hammer spring sometimes raises issues with ammo that has 'hard' primers. On youtube, I seen a 'rope-trick' that seems interesting.... it sounds like it does what emery paper does.. sorta.... bottom line is take your time, use common sense, and ( did I mention ) take your time...

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 pm

funny I was going to ask this question next..best under 100$ trigger upgrade..ill tell ya tho the smith aint bad..but im gonna order that larue for it..
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:58 pm

I did the set screw thing with y daughter's AR. The gun is now doubling. I have not shot it myself so it my just be that she's not holding her mouth right.

I have tried reducing the sear engagement. My experience has been that the corner of the trigger peens over and round out. Again double fires. Sear/trigger contact points were not touched.

My best trigger is a Jewell. It matches it's name. Two stage, fully adjustable. My first stage is at 2#, second at 1# for 3# total. Pricey but I'm worth it! [smilie=011.gif]

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Racist Infidel wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:58 pm
just be that she's not holding her mouth right.
I know this isn't what you intended to type but I'm sure dirty minds are wondering
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jwillgym » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Seems like a lot of you guys like two stage triggers. Not sure if I want to go the two stage route.
IYAOYAS

john in jax
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by john in jax » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:01 pm

I get good results just using a cloth wheel + polishing compound to slick up the interface between the hammer and trigger. You do NOT want to remove any metal or change any angles, just get those engagement surfaces all slicked up.

Haven't tried the set screw yet because I haven't felt the need, but I can see where that would help.

I would not trim the hammer spring for the very reasons mentioned above.

revelation
Life Member
Life Member

Post by revelation » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:09 pm

Before reading this thread I was looking at a Rock River Arms trigger. Same price as the ALG. Anyone use a RRA? Does the ALG use a lesser power trigger spring?
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:28 am

Rock River triggers rock!

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:12 pm

jwillgym wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 pm
Seems like a lot of you guys like two stage triggers. Not sure if I want to go the two stage route.
I prefer single stage triggers myself, and have put in a (used) Timiny in one AR, which was great, and a Velocity, which is good. I wish I'd kept the Timiny for my other AR.

I have also polished a regular trigger group for use, and they are alright. There are a lot of just under $100 drop ins that I'd like to try; RRAs has a good rep, but I think they are all two stagers.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

GunnyHiway
Life Member
Life Member

Post by GunnyHiway » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:27 pm
its not worth messing with, go to far and you have to replace the components, get an ALG and be done

https://algdefense.com/lower-parts.html

ALG Defense was founded by William Geissele’s wife, enough said , they just clean up standard mil-spec triggers at 1/4 the cost of a Geissele
I just ordered an ACT for the A2 I just put together. It beats the hell out of all the polishing and the risk of fouling up a trigger group as you stated ( I will admit I did ruin a TG back in the 1990s by rushing thru it when I was into ARs [-X ).
After I receive mine I'll give a range report regarding its quality and performance.

Thanks for the advice.

Gunny /:f
The M14 does my talking !

CRIMSON TIDE !!!

Cletis686

Post by Cletis686 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:55 am

I just ordered a POF trigger, got it used for $85. I have 3 Colt AR's and I'm used to the regular trigger I;ll see how it goes with a 3.5 lb one.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:05 pm

I've put RRA two-stage triggers in all my ARs - I like the similarity between them and my M-14s & M1s.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!