1st AR 9mm Complete Glock Build Questions.

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
grussgott

1st AR 9mm Complete Glock Build Questions.

Post by grussgott » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 am

I am going to start my AR9mm build using the experience from building an AR15 SBR in 2015.
This one will start as a Pistol one lesson I learned from the last one among other things. Somethings however appear to be not so straight forward with the 9mm build so that is where my questions will be leaning towards. Buying the wrong parts gets expensive as we all know, so I will be trying to cut down on that hopefully with the questions that follow.

Below is my 1st Build

Below the Picture is the list of parts for the 9mm Build.

Parts: [smilie=stirthepot.gif]

Adams Arms 7.5 Gas Piston Upper. Spikes Lower. LWRC Ultra Micro Stock. Hiperfire EClipse Trigger. Sampson Handguard
Vortex AR Red Dot. KNS Anti Rotation Pins. BAD-ASS Safety. Magpul Flip Sights. Radian Raptor-SD Charging Handle

Here is my list of parts that I am pretty sure I want as my foundation.

Spike’s Tactical AR-15 9mm Glock Style Lower Forged Spider Stripped with /Last Round Bolt Hold Open (LRBHO)

Spike’s Tactical Spartan 9MM/45ACP Billet AR15 Upper Receiver w/ Last Round Bolt Hold Open (LRBHO)

Trigger Hyperfire Eclipse, Already have two one in my SBR and One in my Other AR Love Them!

After that I am all ears. :-k My tentative picks are listed below Any and All thoughts are welcome =:e .

Yankee Hill Machine Handguard. They look easy to remove and replace. Could be handy when changing out silencer and muzzle device?

rw: Barrel???
Leaning toward 6.5 or 7.5in. I will need to be able to put a ‘Faux Gas Block’ on it, so it must be able to accommodate that. The reason being I intend to put the DOLO’s system on it eventually so I can change barrels on it. From 9mm to 40cal. I have never purchased a 9mm Barrell obviously, so any and All ideas, places and places to avoid even please let me know. I think The Barrel is my biggest question mark in the project I am all ears here.

Bolt Carrier Group? Not many to choose from. My research has led me to the KWP below.

Kaw Valley Precision AR-15 9mm BlowBack Bolt Carrier from what I have read it plays well with the Hiperfire Trigger.

There are Ton’s of buffers! I am leaning towards the JP below any and all ideas.

JP Silent Captured Spring Gen 2 for 9MM AR-type rifles

Since it is going to be a Pistol for a while I will be looking on the Forum for a used one maybe from someone who has already SBR’d there’s. I would like to hear what’s good? Prefer short tube ones so I can just put in the pistol size buffers this is one place I have no ideas on yet.

I plan on checking the sight daily [smilie=popcorn.gif] until the sales start in a few weeks I look forward to all the feedback good or bad on the parts I have already listed and parts you can suggest.

/:f Thanks to All in Advance. [smilie=cheers1.gif]
Last edited by grussgott on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: 1st AR 9mm Complete Glock Build Questions.

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:11 pm

grussgott wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 am

Leaning toward 6.5 or 7.5in.

Bolt Carrier Group? Not many to choose from. My research has led me to the KWP below.

Kaw Valley Precision AR-15 9mm BlowBack Bolt Carrier from what I have read it plays well with the Hiperfire Trigger.

There are Ton’s of buffers! I am leaning towards the JP below any and all ideas.

JoeBobs outfitters has the Kaw Valley barrels on sale now, even better with free shipping over 99 bucks or something, 9mm barrel lengths are all over the place I have a 3.5 inch barrel on mine, if I could do it again I would get 5.5 or 8.5...it seems to wanna look and feel front heavy with a can but I haven't fired it ye, its still at engraving.....don't waste your $$ on that JP spring, lot of hype and if you hear it and fixate on the spring noise seek psychiatric counseling, the money saved will be better put towards ammo. if you go with a regular buffer you will need a 9mm buffer and spacer so you don't break the bolt catch .... watch Palmetto 9mm bolts I got one from Cubastang50 that was bunked up, I couldn't fix it, also watch Colt bolts are made to run with the Colt pattern and modified UZI mags not the glock mags.......I'm still looking at bolt options myself
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:59 am

Thank you for all the information. Joe Bobs does seem to be the place to go for most of the parts I have been looking for so far. However I just found this link for 7.5" barrels http://www.jsesurplus.com/9mm.aspx if anyone has bought from JSE I would be interested in any feedback. Funny I found them by accident. I normally put 6.5in but this time I typed 6.5" and this search came up with barrels I had not seen before. Crazy search stuff in and " make such a difference. Still haven't found a 6.5" yet but will keep looking. My SBR AR is 7.5" already with a 7.6" Suppressor attached. I am would like the 9mm a tad shorter so 6.5 with my 6.7" pistol suppressor. I shoot some matches and shorter is better when cutting around walls and such. _:

If not the JP Buffer any other thoughts?

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:59 am

grussgott wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 am
I am going to start my AR9mm build using the experience from building an AR15 SBR in 2015.
This one will start as a Pistol one lesson I learned from the last one among other things. Somethings however appear to be not so straight forward with the 9mm build so that is where my questions will be leaning towards. Buying the wrong parts gets expensive as we all know, so I will be trying to cut down on that hopefully with the questions that follow. I’ll post some pics of my first SBR when I can.

Here is my list of parts that I am pretty sure I want as my foundation.

Spike’s Tactical AR-15 9mm Glock Style Lower Forged Spider Stripped with /Last Round Bolt Hold Open (LRBHO)

Spike’s Tactical Spartan 9MM/45ACP Billet AR15 Upper Receiver w/ Last Round Bolt Hold Open (LRBHO)

Trigger Hyperfire Eclipse, Already have two one in my SBR and One in my Other AR Love Them!

After that I am all ears. :-k My tentative picks are listed below Any and All thoughts are welcome =:e .

Yankee Hill Machine Handguard. They look easy to remove and replace. Could be handy when changing out silencer and muzzle device?

rw: Barrel???
Leaning toward 6.5 or 7.5in. I will need to be able to put a ‘Faux Gas Block’ on it, so it must be able to accommodate that. The reason being I intend to put the DOLO’s system on it eventually so I can change barrels on it. From 9mm to 40cal. I have never purchased a 9mm Barrell obviously, so any and All ideas, places and places to avoid even please let me know. I think The Barrel is my biggest question mark in the project I am all ears here.

Since it is going to be a Pistol for a while I will be looking on the Forum for a used one maybe from someone who has already SBR’d there’s. I would like to hear what’s good? Prefer short tube ones so I can just put in the pistol size buffers this is one place I have no ideas on yet.

I plan on checking the sight daily [smilie=popcorn.gif] until the sales start in a few weeks I look forward to all the feedback good or bad on the parts I have already listed and parts you can suggest.

/:f Thanks to All in Advance. [smilie=cheers1.gif]
Do you know if the ST 9mm lowers are compaitable with PSA 9mm uppers?

PSA doesn't have last round hold open. I might consider selling my 9mm PSA lower in lieu of a ST and SBR it.
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:03 pm

I haven't researched that so I couldn't say. I also haven't purchased any of the parts yet to see what will work with what. I am hoping like you that someone else has tried these things. If I read anything on this during my quest I will update my posting. Are you just starting out also?

neverenoughguns
Contributor
Contributor

Post by neverenoughguns » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:45 pm

I had a factory 9mm Colt that I SBR'd. I ended up going w/ a 10.5" barrel from Rock River Arms. It was a very reliable carbine before switching over and that has continued forward w/ the RRA barrel. Everything else is still Colt. I did look at the Spikes 9mm lower the other day and thought it was pretty cool though... Let us know how the build progresses.

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:33 am

Thank you neverenoughguns. I was doing some more research and found something that has really flipped my build around. It's the Angstadt Arms UDP 9 If someone could let me know IF we are allowed to post youtube links or other links I will post them. But you can of course go to Angstadt Arms to check it out. It's more on there site as always but I have found the pistol for $1100 on a few sights. OR as in my case I would just do the straight up build still as it's the specific components that I want on it such as the trigger and handguard. And from two videos I have already seen it for sure takes the Hiprefire Trigger. A Key component in my list. It also already has the 6in barrel I would like. So I have found the lower and upper already online on it's on. It's only early on as I just found it but I am now leaning away from the spikes at this time. Oh I didn't mention it for sure has last round bolt hold on Glock Mags. I will for sure keep you up to date and once again IF someone can let me know IF we are allowed to post Links in our post I will. I must have 30 or more tabs open with parts and videos. Ah the thrill of the build!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:56 am

Angstadt is top notch, I fired their stuff last April at a shoot, they do some really cool 9mm builds, shoot and compact, lots of stock options like the PDW stocks, and the Law tactical is cool for a blade or something on a pistol
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 pm

That is really good to know. I literally just got done sending them an e-mail with a few questions to confirm some of the details such as running with the Hipertouch EDT. I will keep things up to date with their reply.

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:20 pm

Update /:f

I received a reply from Angstadt Arms this morning, less the 24hr after sending my question. The answer is YES They DO have the option to purchase MINUS The Handguard. He also said that there are customers using it with the LWRC Ultra Micro with a Minor adjustment to the Buffer in order to archive last round lock back. I have also seen another user that had the stock on a different 9mm AR that showed he cut down the buffer by just a very small amount for the same thing and it worked also. So two out of three answered. As for the Hipertouch EDC Trigger he was not able to answer so I will have to dig into that one next. But that's close to the last step I think. I will let you all know when I know.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm not familiar with the Hipertouch EDC Trigger, but if it works in a regular AR-15, it should work in a 9mm AR

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:57 am

I Just got off the phone with Hiperfire. They said the Hiperfire 24 Series is known to work very well with 9mm AR Builds. He had not specifically known about the Angstadt Arms UDP-9. So still very encouraging. As mentioned it for sure Does Fit in the receiver as I had seen it in the video I mentioned above. I found the e-mail address of the person that put it in a month ago. He never posted a range trip or findings follow up after the build. So I wrote him this morning to see what I could find out. Also I miss typed yesterday when I wrote Hiperfire EDT I meant to put, Hiperfire EClipse as this is what I actually have in my two AR's.

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:31 am

I just got an E-Mail from the person that built his Angstadt Arm.

Hey!
I can confirm that the HiperFire Works Perfectly!

Really note a lot left to do before the sales start next weekend. I better start posting some stuff for sale soon to pay for this thing!

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:54 am

Personally I prefer the NFA designed Glock Mag Lowers, as the ejector/mag stop is a beefy piece of plate steel. I've found that the majority of other manufacturers use a whispy piece of spring steel for the ejector, that ends up bending during use/cleaning/rough handling, etc. and can cause stovepipes. I've never had a problem with NFA's. They're also compatible with a LRBHO. They manufacture their design for several other companies, you can tell by the ejector/setscrews, mag release, and overall shape.

For uppers I really like the NFA Side-Charger, it cuts down on the gas up your nose in suppressed applications, LRBHO available.

For the barrel, I actually use the Wilson Stainless 7.5" from JSE (with a few in-house mods) for my builds.

For the bolt, most which are cut for Glock mags should be fine.

STAY AWAY from the NFA "modular bolt", I bought a batch and had 20% of them either shear the spring pins or had the pins pop out the side of the carrier. Though we WERE running them with a heavy short-stroke buffer on a postie, its still a weak point/design flaw that you don't run into with a standard 1 piece BCG.

The JP captured spring is a nice design, just remember to pull the plug out of the BCG ;-). I prefer a heavier short-stroke buffer for suppressed applications, as it helps keep the bolt closed longer to cut down on blowback gasses and port pop.

And before you call me a shill for NFA, I'm an 07/02 who has been using their 80%s for builds since 2013. If I wanted to shill I'd pimp my own products. [smilie=cheers1.gif]

Oh, grussgott, I got your email. You're good to go!

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:02 am

John thank you for your Excellent Feedback. I have been looking at the New Frontier Armory as a Strong contender with its LRBHO.

I noticed that they offer the LRBHO in both the Lower AND the Upper. Have you tried both and what do you prefer?

As for the bolt, it mentions problems with aftermarket triggers. I definitely want to go with an aftermarket, the Hipertouch Specifically. Have you used aftermarket triggers? What has your experience been?

I have looked into the JPS and spoken to Ben at JPS along with another contact he gave me. VERY Informative. The only thing is that with the LWRC Ultra Compact Stock it seems I would have to cut the rod to shorten it to work in it. I like the concept of quieter for sure. After 35 years of shooting on the AR platform I can HEAR the Sprong Sound just by thinking about it. But I don’t have the means to cut it short then rethread it and mess with a $150\$200 product. Sounds nice but will have to wait and see on that one. If I do try it I can start on either my Standard AR or my AR10. My AR10 I don’t get to shoot much but I can really hear the buffer especially since you are even more up close and personal with the cheek weld taking your time breathing, focusing and squeezing of the shot you are more in tune with it. Plus if I am going to put down that kind of $ I can use it on either one by changing a few parts.

As for being a “shill” for NFA, not even close to thinking this. Exactly the opposite and what I am looking for in this post. I want this kind of feedback from people that have USED the products and if you like it and believe in it, you will speak with that conviction. Especially with advice like that of the modular bolt. How else would I learn that except from finding out the hard way myself? To me this is why we have this board to swap ideas and knowledge. Especially hands on like you have. Thank You for that.

I am going the Gun Show in the morning after work. I want to get a look at the parts mentioned. I really want to narrow it down before the sales next week.

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:50 am

grussgott wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:02 am
John thank you for your Excellent Feedback. I have been looking at the New Frontier Armory as a Strong contender with its LRBHO.

I noticed that they offer the LRBHO in both the Lower AND the Upper. Have you tried both and what do you prefer?

As for the bolt, it mentions problems with aftermarket triggers. I definitely want to go with an aftermarket, the Hipertouch Specifically. Have you used aftermarket triggers? What has your experience been?

I have looked into the JPS and spoken to Ben at JPS along with another contact he gave me. VERY Informative. The only thing is that with the LWRC Ultra Compact Stock it seems I would have to cut the rod to shorten it to work in it. I like the concept of quieter for sure. After 35 years of shooting on the AR platform I can HEAR the Sprong Sound just by thinking about it. But I don’t have the means to cut it short then rethread it and mess with a $150\$200 product. Sounds nice but will have to wait and see on that one. If I do try it I can start on either my Standard AR or my AR10. My AR10 I don’t get to shoot much but I can really hear the buffer especially since you are even more up close and personal with the cheek weld taking your time breathing, focusing and squeezing of the shot you are more in tune with it. Plus if I am going to put down that kind of $ I can use it on either one by changing a few parts.

As for being a “shill” for NFA, not even close to thinking this. Exactly the opposite and what I am looking for in this post. I want this kind of feedback from people that have USED the products and if you like it and believe in it, you will speak with that conviction. Especially with advice like that of the modular bolt. How else would I learn that except from finding out the hard way myself? To me this is why we have this board to swap ideas and knowledge. Especially hands on like you have. Thank You for that.

I am going the Gun Show in the morning after work. I want to get a look at the parts mentioned. I really want to narrow it down before the sales next week.
The NFA LRBHO option requires both their lower and their upper, part of the mechanism is in the lower, the other part is in the upper. I haven't tried their LRBHO as it is a relatively new item, I'll be ordering them in my next batch.

We've run ~30 of their bolts, with a variety of triggers (Colt Milspec, Spikes, JP, CMC, Giessele mostly), and the ONLY issues we had were with the modular carrier breaking, and a timing issue on a postie (not a problem the average consumer will likely have)

if you're looking for a REALLY SHORT stock, look into a Maxim Defense CQB. A little pricey, but it comes with a JP captured spring/buffer.

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:34 pm

=:bye =:bye =:bye A Question for ALL, has anyone had any experience with the Black Creek Precision Model GLK-F ? =:bye =:bye =:bye

JUST Got in from the Gun Show and have to head out again right away. John I will read and comment on your last post this evening.

I Did get to see an Angstadt Arms 9mm. Literally when I was about to leave thinking I would never see one up close the last lane against the wall about midway I was basically done and there it was. Will also comment on that this evening. Just wanted to get my question above posted first.

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:38 pm

John, that thing just looks mean! Just seeing someone holding it would look hardcore and you would walk away quietly so as not to bother him. Thank you for the picture and I am looking into the stock and buffer. Yes a little pricey.

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave M » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:42 pm

John K wrote:
grussgott wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:02 am

The NFA LRBHO option requires both their lower and their upper, part of the mechanism is in the lower, the other part is in the upper. I haven't tried their LRBHO as it is a relatively new item, I'll be ordering them in my next batch.

We've run ~30 of their bolts, with a variety of triggers (Colt Milspec, Spikes, JP, CMC, Giessele mostly), and the ONLY issues we had were with the modular carrier breaking, and a timing issue on a postie (not a problem the average consumer will likely have)

if you're looking for a REALLY SHORT stock, look into a Maxim Defense CQB. A little pricey, but it comes with a JP captured spring/buffer.

I just received my strike industries pdw stock, and it is very slick. Pre order price was $245, and they send you a new buffer and spring. Normal BCG can be used.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

grussgott

Post by grussgott » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Dave, I just checked out the Strike Industries PDW Stock. It looks nice but as you said a bit pricey also. Thank You for sharing, very nice. [smilie=cheers1.gif]