Optic Suggestions

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
itsnunya
Executive Member
Executive Member

Optic Suggestions

Post by itsnunya » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:28 pm

I am weighing the options of an ACOG vs Aimpoint and magnifier. I am looking for input from those that have either to chime in. To be mounted on an AR built with Spikes and BCM. Looking for Pros and Cons of either.

If it has been discussed - I missed it in my search.

Thanks All
NRA Life Member

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Optic Suggestions

Post by Casual » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:52 am

I have both, go with the acog
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

rug357

Post by rug357 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:50 am

I have both and EOTech and my answer is depends on what you are planning to do with your AR...is it going to be used mainly for HD, hunting, plinking, 3 gun matches, etc. Another option is a simple low power scope. Each sight has pros and cons and there is no one sight that will do it all well.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

itsnunya
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by itsnunya » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks Guys.

I have another with a Nikon P223 mounted on it already. This one will be a combo of HD and plinking.
NRA Life Member

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:00 am

In that case I'd go with Aimpoint combo as ACOG's magnification can be a hindrance for close range shooting and the short eye relief limits the peripheral view.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.

CitrusDude

Post by CitrusDude » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:17 pm

rug357 wrote:In that case I'd go with Aimpoint combo as ACOG's magnification can be a hindrance for close range shooting and the short eye relief limits the peripheral view.
+1. I have both the 4x ACOG and Aimpoint T1. ACOG for mid to long range, and the T1 for HD and CQB. Even shooting out to 20 yards the ACOG can slow you down when you need fast target acquisition.
Steve

rug357

Post by rug357 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Based on my personal experience with various optics on AR carbine/rifles, here is how I would classify them...

EOTech - Very fast for close range. Out to maybe 40 yards it's hard to beat the speed of holographic sight but once the range goes beyond about 75 yards I have trouble making precision shots. I usually mount mine a little further forward than most so I have good peripheral vision with both eyes open.

Aimpoint 1X - Very good for general purpose out to moderate distance with both eyes open. It's pretty fast for close range but it works out to 100+ yards. It is also very durable and has very long battery life so you can just keep it on all the time. I've never been a fan of multipliers as they seemed a little delicate and the quality of image wasn't as sharp.

ACOG - Good for medium range and further distance depending on the model/magnification. Very good quality glass and very durable. Depending on the reticle, good for longer range precision shots. I just don't like the short eye relief for taking multiple fast shots and has poor peripheral vision.

Scopes - I like low power (1.5X to about 3X) scopes with long eye relief as they give very clear image for precision shots and give some peripheral vision. I'm just not sold on their durability. I've broken couple of scopes by bumping them on hard surface and dropping the rifle on hard surface.

Just my $0.02 based on my personal experience.

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave M » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:13 pm

rug357 wrote:Based on my personal experience with various optics on AR carbine/rifles, here is how I would classify them...

EOTech - Very fast for close range. Out to maybe 40 yards it's hard to beat the speed of holographic sight but once the range goes beyond about 75 yards I have trouble making precision shots. I usually mount mine a little further forward than most so I have good peripheral vision with both eyes open.

Aimpoint 1X - Very good for general purpose out to moderate distance with both eyes open. It's pretty fast for close range but it works out to 100+ yards. It is also very durable and has very long battery life so you can just keep it on all the time. I've never been a fan of multipliers as they seemed a little delicate and the quality of image wasn't as sharp.

ACOG - Good for medium range and further distance depending on the model/magnification. Very good quality glass and very durable. Depending on the reticle, good for longer range precision shots. I just don't like the short eye relief for taking multiple fast shots and has poor peripheral vision.

Scopes - I like low power (1.5X to about 3X) scopes with long eye relief as they give very clear image for precision shots and give some peripheral vision. I'm just not sold on their durability. I've broken couple of scopes by bumping them on hard surface and dropping the rifle on hard surface.

Just my $0.02 based on my personal experience.
Have you tried using the Vortex PST 1-4?

rug357

Post by rug357 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:23 pm

Dave M wrote: Have you tried using the Vortex PST 1-4?
No I have not. I don't shoot hundreds of rounds a week in my AR's like I used to as most of my shooting is related to hunting or plinking with my son now. I have not been keeping up with the latest, greatest stuff for few years as I'm mostly interested in traditional scopes for use on hunting rifles...including some hunting AR rifles. I'm sure there are some great recently introduced scopes and other optics but they are of little interest to me at this time...maybe in few years when my son develops interest in such toys.

itsnunya
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by itsnunya » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks all for the input, now to put aside spare cash to buy.
NRA Life Member