Advice for hunting upper

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Advice for hunting upper

Post by REDinFL » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:38 pm

What do you guys think between 458 Socom or 300BLK for hunting, here in FL (meaning our size game, deer, hogs), or other caliber thoughts? I'm not heavy into it but, if my brothers in law want to go hunting, I'd just as soon have a useful upper to plop on. Yeah, I have a bolt rifle in 30-06 but, with a bug sigh of relief after the election, I'd as soon stick with one type of mechanical platform. BTW, are there any 10mm uppers? Might get me a 10mm pistol and go that way as a combo.
Mit den Dummen dreht man die Welt um.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Advice for hunting upper

Post by flcracker » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:41 am

300BLK essentially gives you two new calibers which are suitable for meat hogs and Florida deer.

Subsonic, it has terminal ballistics similar or slightly exceeding 45ACP out to about 100 yds, with the ability to drop all shots into a 1" circle at 100 yds.

Supersonic, you get ballistics and trajectories very similar to 30-30.

Not to mention that you can reload 300BLK with almost any run of the mill .30-cal projectile.

458SOCOM, on the other hand will put a bigger chunk of daylight through your target, and is more sutiable for large boar hogs and bigger game. It would be perfect for a TN razorback hunt or to take a black bear.

All this is MHO. I own a 300 BLK but I've never shot a 458 SOCOM.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:42 pm

I will throw in a nod for a 6.5 Grendel.

I built one with a 18in barrel, for some hunting and to use in competition. 18in because it was what was available now and there is a 20in barrel limit in the matches I intended to use it for. 18in makes it perfect for hunting out of a blind.

Bullet selection is very good, lots of target and hunting bullets available for it. For competition, 6.5mm has great performance, especially past 100yds

Brass is available from 5 different manufacturers, Lapua, Norma, Hornady, Nosler and Prvi.

Factory ammunition is available but usually online, have yet to find it locally
Mine has over 600+ rounds thru it, and is very accurate. Right now I only shoot 123 Amax's at 2450fps out to 600yds and it will hold sub MOA.

I have the added benefit of factory hunting ammunition holding to the same point of impact out to 300yds as my match ammo, I will see how it performs after Thanskgiving, when I take it hunting.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:56 pm

6.8 is my hunting choice and has been for several years. 300blk is ok too but make sure you use the right ammo.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks, all for the info. and advice. For my purpose, I like the sound of 30-30 equivalentas it's a familiar power level and should do the job in FL. As I understand it, all I need is a barrel to convert a 5.56 AR upper. Otherwise, a build; I have the tools. The next problem will be the cost comparison. I have a 30-06 bolt rifle. The conversion has to be cost effective against that - allowing for the semi-auto factor - with ammo. My 30-06, a Marlin xl7, is about $500. worth with scope. I'll call ammo a wash, though I have the reloading capability for 06.

Thanks again. At least there's a target ( [smilie=011.gif] ) to concentrate on.

sgb

Post by sgb » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:08 pm

For Hunting I'd opt for the 6.5 Grendal as well. https://www.targetsportsusa.com/wolf-65 ... 59034.aspx $399.95
Free Shipping!

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:47 am

Well, the 6.5Grendel did well at hunting.

Shot 2 does, first at ~120yds, 2nd at ~90yds, using Factory Hornady 123gr SST hunting ammo. Out of my rifle doing ~2470fps.

Doe#1 spun in place and died, no running. Bullet exited left shoulder.

Image[/URL]

Doe#2, shot was a little further back than I liked, exited right shoulder, ran about 50yds .

Image[/URL]

Very fun round to shoot.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

rmc51

Post by rmc51 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:23 pm

rjroberts wrote:What do you guys think between 458 Socom or 300BLK for hunting, here in FL (meaning our size game, deer, hogs), or other caliber thoughts? I'm not heavy into it but, if my brothers in law want to go hunting, I'd just as soon have a useful upper to plop on. Yeah, I have a bolt rifle in 30-06 but, with a bug sigh of relief after the election, I'd as soon stick with one type of mechanical platform. BTW, are there any 10mm uppers? Might get me a 10mm pistol and go that way as a combo.
I do not recommend 300blk to anyone that has a 5.56 anywhere around. The possibility of mixing up and putting a 300blk round in your 5.56 is not worth it. Both use the same magazine, the possibility of having a black Magpul magazine with the wrong round in it is high.
There are people on this site and others that will tell you the AR15 5.56 cannot close and fire. This is a lie.
http://mygunculture.com/r-i-p-one-ar-15 ... 23-kaboom/

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/11/photo-da ... -56-rifle/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016 ... lk-in-556/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcQc-tCS5Bo

Look it up for yourself.
It does happen!!
I put a Glock 17 9mm magazine into a Glock 22 40cal and the other way around, a G22 mag in a Glock 17. The 9mm did fire in the Glock 22 40cal, Not pretty, not good, but it can do it. Be very careful with 300blk anywhere around 5.56.

Go with a 6.8, good hunting round. Different bolt, different magazine. If you are using Magpul magazines for your 5.56 and CProducts 6.8 there cannot be any confusion.
RMC51
Florida Keys

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Post by REDinFL » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks for that advice; you might save someone from an unpleasant surprise.

I haven't been able to get any of the calibers I'd want at a decent trade, so now, I'll just stick with my '06 and let the ARs go. My objective was to cut down, both on rifles and calibers, so we'll try the other route.