Selling Franken-ARs

Discussions on all the Black Rifle variants of all calibers and manufacturers.
Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Selling Franken-ARs

Post by Cardboard_killer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:46 pm

I noticed on that florida gun sale site that there are always a bunch of franken-ARs for sale, and all for more than the sum of their parts. I wouldn't buy a used gun put together by someone like me, and certainly not for more money than the parts are worth separately. So why do those things sell?
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

better2have&notneed
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Selling Franken-ARs

Post by better2have&notneed » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:06 pm

No background check maybe?
Or people don't know what the parts/gun is worth...or don't care about price.
Within the last month one guy at work paid $699 plus tax/bgc for an M&P Sport II :ham'r and another guy bought one of those hideous 12 gauge AR's from Shooters World for $569 plus tax/bcg. :ham'r

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:23 pm

people always want to combine DD this, and BCM that with a so and so nickel boron bolt and a ELG trigger and etc, etc

there is a saying that some children don't play well together, but to AR fanbois they are better the more name brand s';t you put on them...it attention seeking , especially when you list the manufacturer of the parts every time you talk about your rifle

and YES they all think that makes them worth more :ham'r
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
I've never quite figured out how a Noveske stripped lower comes off a machine, and after that contract is filled, someone nerd in an office punches a couple of keys, and the same damn lower starts popping out with palmetto's roll mark on it, but the Noveske is better.

I'm sure one of our resident cork sniffers will be along to explain it !
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:33 pm

TC6969 wrote:
I'm sure one of our resident cork fart sniffers will be along to explain it !
FIFY [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:49 am

TC6969 wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:
I've never quite figured out how a Noveske stripped lower comes off a machine, and after that contract is filled, someone nerd in an office punches a couple of keys, and the same damn lower starts popping out with palmetto's roll mark on it, but the Noveske is better.

I'm sure one of our resident cork sniffers will be along to explain it !
On some parts the level of quality control is different and different brands have different part rejection rates as a result. That said with how good manufacturing methods are the chance of a defective part even with lower quality is probably so small as to be inconsequential to the end user.
Libertas aut mortis!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:50 am

I guess you don't know one company makes about 45 % of the goods for the AR market :ham'r

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:I guess you don't know one company makes about 45 % of the goods for the AR market :ham'r
I do know that, what I was saying was different brands will send parts back to that company because they failed inspection at different rates. You will also see that I said to the end user that doesn't really matter because chances are your part is good anyway and even if it is "defective" the defect is probably literally microscopic and will not actually affect the function of the weapon though it might fail a few hundred rounds sooner than a "good" part.

Additionally just because a part is made by the same company doesn't mean it is the same. Some brands call for a part to be made using a different metal alloy or might include a process, such as some kind of cold working or heat treatment, that isn't included by another brand. For most people this won't matter either though.
Libertas aut mortis!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:11 pm

yeah , because everyone understands the different levels of MPI inspections =:wvr

just buy Spikes stuff, they have a pretty strict QC process, even his seconds and blems are so worth it

about 30 different companies are selling the velocity AR triggers with their name engraved custom on the side, all the same... no different except the company name

molivo
Life Member
Life Member

Post by molivo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:40 am

better2have&notneed wrote:No background check maybe?
Or people don't know what the parts/gun is worth...or don't care about price.
Within the last month one guy at work paid $699 plus tax/bgc for an M&P Sport II :ham'r and another guy bought one of those hideous 12 gauge AR's from Shooters World for $569 plus tax/bcg. :ham'r
This. Gun buyers are paranoid. I could sell new glocks at 350$ and still have private sellers outsell me at 550$ because they dont have to do a bgc.
Altar Arms - 01 FFL , NFA/SOT Dealer(772)497-6550
20$ Transfers for FSN members for Title 1 Firearms, 75$ Title 2!
Located in Fort Pierce, FL

I BUY PREBAN AR15'S! PM ME!

See us on Gunbroker.com! AltarArms
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?In ... rs=2086140

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:59 am

molivo wrote:I could sell new glocks at 350$ and still have private sellers outsell me at 550$ because they dont have to do a bgc.
Paranoid, or felons? I bet it's more the latter than the former.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:people always want to combine DD this, and BCM that with a so and so nickel boron bolt and a ELG trigger and etc, etc

there is a saying that some children don't play well together, but to AR fanbois they are better the more name brand s';t you put on them...it attention seeking , especially when you list the manufacturer of the parts every time you talk about your rifle

Then they rattle can them but tape off the bcm logo so when they're being uber ninjas creeping through their backyard you still know its a bcm lol, because, camp
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Cloaked Dagger wrote: I do know that, what I was saying was different brands will send parts back to that company because they failed inspection at different rates.

Additionally just because a part is made by the same company doesn't mean it is the same. Some brands call for a part to be made using a different metal alloy or might include a process, such as some kind of cold working or heat treatment, that isn't included by another brand. For most people this won't matter either though.
How do you KNOW that what you posted is true?
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

Cloaked Dagger
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cloaked Dagger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:25 am

TC6969 wrote:
Cloaked Dagger wrote: I do know that, what I was saying was different brands will send parts back to that company because they failed inspection at different rates.

I know it's kind of a cliche but look at all the uppers that don't have brass deflectors, forward assists, or dust covers that's a difference you can physically see. They probably came off the same forge but obviously they used a different set of dies to make the two different parts. Is it hard to believe that one might also have been made using a cheaper lower grade of aluminum?

You asked why some people are willing to pay more for certain brands over others. I answered that question. If you want more detailed answers you are going to have to do research into the specific differences between each brand. I don't know that information off the top of my head. If you want proof you will have to buy some parts and send them to a lab to be tested to see if the claimed differences are really there. Then you will have decide whether those differences are actually worth the extra money.

I'm not endorsing one brand over another. I'm merely stating that just because two parts are made in the same factory it doesn't necessarily mean that those parts are exactly the same.
Libertas aut mortis!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:13 am

ever see that little keyhole stamping, or maybe the A over the H, lots of companies get their stuff from those 2 places and add their own markings and resell...so are you saying only the lesser company gets the crappy aluminum or they run the good stuff first and the crap companies get whats left in the bottom of the barrel ....were not talk about your favorite choco puff cereal here kidd, look up the word liability ....its all the same s';t

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:01 am

Cloaked Dagger wrote:
TC6969 wrote:

I know it's kind of a cliche but look at all the uppers that don't have brass deflectors, forward assists, or dust covers that's a difference you can physically see. They probably came off the same forge but obviously they used a different set of dies to make the two different parts. Is it hard to believe that one might also have been made using a cheaper lower grade of aluminum?

You asked why some people are willing to pay more for certain brands over others. I answered that question. If you want more detailed answers you are going to have to do research into the specific differences between each brand. I don't know that information off the top of my head. If you want proof you will have to buy some parts and send them to a lab to be tested to see if the claimed differences are really there. Then you will have decide whether those differences are actually worth the extra money.

I'm not endorsing one brand over another. I'm merely stating that just because two parts are made in the same factory it doesn't necessarily mean that those parts are exactly the same.
So, what you're saying in that elaborate dance around the issue, is you really DON'T know if what you posted is true!

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:15 am

I know of a vendor who buys bare Rock River, & Spike's lowers. He then buys the cheapest lower kits, & uppers, & passes off the guns as factory built Rock River, & Spike's guns. People don't realize what they are getting, & don't even notice the guns come in a carry case, vs a factory box. To be clear, Gun Country, & Shoot Straight only sell factory AR's that all come in factory boxes. GARY

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:13 am

N4KVE wrote:I know of a vendor who buys bare Rock River, & Spike's lowers. He then buys the cheapest lower kits, & uppers, & passes off the guns as factory built Rock River, & Spike's guns. People don't realize what they are getting, & don't even notice the guns come in a carry case, vs a factory box. To be clear, Gun Country, & Shoot Straight only sell factory AR's that all come in factory boxes. GARY

yep, one of those ...at every show...........in every town.........every weekend

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:
N4KVE wrote:I know of a vendor who buys bare Rock River, & Spike's lowers. He then buys the cheapest lower kits, & uppers, & passes off the guns as factory built Rock River, & Spike's guns. People don't realize what they are getting, & don't even notice the guns come in a carry case, vs a factory box. To be clear, Gun Country, & Shoot Straight only sell factory AR's that all come in factory boxes. GARY

yep, one of those ...at every show...........in every town.........every weekend

I thought Little Ed Basile was in jail!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 pm

TC6969 wrote:
Rentprop1 wrote:

I thought Little Ed Basile was in jail!
was that the Ochechobee Guns guy , I used to have one of his DCM rifles that was perfect