Scope mount

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
Infidel325

Scope mount

Post by Infidel325 »

I have a new rifle coming. Looking for someone to mount the scope “professionally” in Tampa area.
Who do you recommend?
Shoot straight, shooters world, or a local long range shooter?
Thanks
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Professionally mount a scope? Please explain.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Outgunu wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:02 pm Professionally mount a scope? Please explain.
Someone who actually uses the propper inch pound torque wrench, alignment bars, has the ability to lap it if needed, or ream if it's really bad....please tell me you dont just slap a scope on top and crank it down. :shock:

Im in Inverness have all the correct tools, we charge about $40 and can usually do it while you wait.... as long as your scope isn't too high off the borderline I'll bore sight it for that same price.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

rentprop1 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:21 pm
Outgunu wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:02 pm Professionally mount a scope? Please explain.
Someone who actually uses the propper inch pound torque wrench, alignment bars, has the ability to lap it if needed, or ream if it's really bad....please tell me you dont just slap a scope on top and crank it down. :shock:

Im in Inverness have all the correct tools, we charge about $40 and can usually do it while you wait.... as long as your scope isn't too high off the borderline I'll bore sight it for that same price.
As someone who doesn't use magnified or variable scopes, can you please explain this process and why it needs stuff like alignment bars, etc? I didn't know there was an entire thing to putting a scope on.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Skoll wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:05 am
As someone who doesn't use magnified or variable scopes, can you please explain this process and why it needs stuff like alignment bars, etc? I didn't know there was an entire thing to putting a scope on.
I'll have to dumb it down for you :mrgreen: , you've got an aluminum tube clamped in 2 places with the same force, ( recoil ) motion and lateral force as a drink on the roof of you car that you speed off and forget, how you hold that drink on the top of your car is critical to whether or not you gonna have anything left the drink when you pull over and grab it......get it now ?? if not google might be your friend

cheap scopes on big guns are never a good idea, the general rule of thumb is the glass cost as much ( or more ) as the host ( rifle ), if you put a $ 150 scope on a 30-06 and use cheap china rings and don't align it , its not worth a crap, I'll dig up some pics of mis-aligned scopes and the stress and scratches the rings make on the tube.

how the turrets work
rug357

Post by rug357 »

There is a lot that can go wrong when mounting a scope. A good quality scope deserves a great quality scope mount and rings. Most problems I've seen and encountered were with cheap poorly made mount and/or rings. I've also seen more problems with 2 piece mounts than with 1 piece...I guess more pieces means more potential mistakes. Occasionally the problem can be the rifle...as in not aligned mounting holes on receiver. I personally prefer as few parts as possible and have been using Game Reaper one piece mounts on my hunting rifles with good results. I just clamp on alignment bars on each ring and make sure they line up strait.
You may not be of my flesh and blood, but you are of my heart and soul.

Do not mistaken my kindness for weakness.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

rentprop1 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:33 am
Skoll wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:05 am
I'll have to dumb it down for you :mrgreen: , you've got an aluminum tube clamped in 2 places with the same force, ( recoil ) motion and lateral force as a drink on the roof of you car that you speed off and forget, how you hold that drink on the top of your car is critical to whether or not you gonna have anything left the drink when you pull over and grab it......get it now ?? if not google might be your friend

cheap scopes on big guns are never a good idea, the general rule of thumb is the glass cost as much ( or more ) as the host ( rifle ), if you put a $ 150 scope on a 30-06 and use cheap china rings and don't align it , its not worth a crap, I'll dig up some pics of mis-aligned scopes and the stress and scratches the rings make on the tube.

how the turrets work
I'm poor, not stupid :P

That's pretty interesting though, especially that video of the scope cutout.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Skoll wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:14 am
I'm poor, not stupid :P
the risk or cheap rings and mount isn't worth the reward of if getting to brag, that it works " just as good " :roll:

eat hot dogs and Ramen noodles for a few weeks, save up and buy better shit, don't be cheap :mrgreen:
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

I was more curious as to the process. Right now I don't even have a need for a scope since my local ranges are all 25 yards but I do enjoy learning about them.
Infidel325

Post by Infidel325 »

Took it to shoot straight Tampa.