Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
Post Reply
User avatar
Deputydave
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Tampa

Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by Deputydave » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 am

What do you hunt here in Florida? And what is your preferred rifle, caliber and cartridge?

I have a Savage Axis .308. Winchester Super-X 150g Power Point is my normal load though the same grain in Perfecta has printed the same groups at range.

What about you guys?
You don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training.

User avatar
dld
Member
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Fla

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by dld » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 pm

30/30 lever action 150 grain whatever, either Marlin or Winchester /:f

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 22845
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 pm

I hunt squirrels with 7.62x54R because f/;k that tree rat, f/;k that tree branch, and f/;k that guys roof 3 counties over [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

User avatar
Rebel
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:12 am
Location: Daytona

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by Rebel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:39 pm

Remington Hepburn with double set triggers and graduated tang sight in 40 x 2 1/2. (40-70 Sharps Straight)
She shows her age, but bore and lock-up are great.
Also Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70 with 2X Leupold. Short and handy with a good punch.
Aaron
outside of a dog, a gun is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to shoot.

User avatar
Deputydave
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 273
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Tampa

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by Deputydave » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:54 am

dld wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 pm
30/30 lever action 150 grain whatever, either Marlin or Winchester /:f
Rebel wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:39 pm
Remington Hepburn with double set triggers and graduated tang sight in 40 x 2 1/2. (40-70 Sharps Straight)
She shows her age, but bore and lock-up are great.
Also Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70 with 2X Leupold. Short and handy with a good punch.
Aaron
Deer, hog, other?
You don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training.

User avatar
Rebel
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:12 am
Location: Daytona

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by Rebel » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:17 am

Hog, the deer down here are too puny for larger calibers.
Aaron
outside of a dog, a gun is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to shoot.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 2383
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:40 am
Location: Boca Raton

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by LastRites » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Preferred, 6.5 Grendel as it is low recoiling and does the job well.

User avatar
RyanHK21EOwner
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1660
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:32 am
Location: The Gunshine State, Pompano Beach...

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by RyanHK21EOwner » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:07 pm

.243 WIN ~ ( 95 grn or 100 grn )

Federal or Winchester Brand
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherphuckers in the jungle...

User avatar
rug357
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:23 am
Location: Pembroke Pines (just North of Miami)

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by rug357 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:42 pm

In past 7+ years of hog hunting in Florida, I've used various rifles/calibers including...

Remington 700 in 308
Remington 700 in 243
Remington Model 7 in 243
Ruger GSR in 308
Marlin 1895 in 45-70
Marlin 336 in 30-30
AR rifle in .5.56
AR carbine in 5.56
AR carbine in 300Blk
plus some others that I've forgotten about.

They were all effective in taking hogs from 50 lb. to 270 lb. if your manage to accurately place the bullet on the right spot.
Even with 5.56 and 300Blk rounds hogs dropped immediately with one shot if hit on the CNS/neck/head. On the other hand I've seen hog take 3 or 4 shots of 308 Winchester and still run off...never to be found. It's the shot placement that determines the effectiveness of the rifle/cartridge.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

User avatar
jwillgym
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:19 am
Location: Jacksonville, Fl

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by jwillgym » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Rug, thought you were having issues with 300BO. Did you find a better bullet or was it the shot placement?
IYAOYAS

User avatar
rug357
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:23 am
Location: Pembroke Pines (just North of Miami)

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by rug357 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:16 pm

jwillgym wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm
Rug, thought you were having issues with 300BO. Did you find a better bullet or was it the shot placement?
No I didn't have any issues with the 300BO but I've seen other who did have issues putting down hogs with this cartridge. This is the reason I didn't get into hunting with 300BO until very recently. I pick up some Barnes 120gr TTSX (I couldn't find any 110gr version) ammo and used it on my first hog 3 weeks ago. One shot on a running hog from 60-70 yards and it went down immediately. It was a good hit on the head...complete penetration from right to left but I was not impressed with the exit wound. Again, the shot placement was everything.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:53 pm
Location: Pembroke Pines

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by Dave M » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

rug357 wrote:
jwillgym wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm
Rug, thought you were having issues with 300BO. Did you find a better bullet or was it the shot placement?
No I didn't have any issues with the 300BO but I've seen other who did have issues putting down hogs with this cartridge. This is the reason I didn't get into hunting with 300BO until very recently. I pick up some Barnes 120gr TTSX (I couldn't find any 110gr version) ammo and used it on my first hog 3 weeks ago. One shot on a running hog from 60-70 yards and it went down immediately. It was a good hit on the head...complete penetration from right to left but I was not impressed with the exit wound. Again, the shot placement was everything.
Have you tried any of the Underwood controlled chaos ammo for 300 BO?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk


User avatar
rug357
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4069
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:23 am
Location: Pembroke Pines (just North of Miami)

Re: Your preferred rifle/caliber/cartridge

Post by rug357 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:08 pm

Dave M wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm
rug357 wrote:
jwillgym wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm
Rug, thought you were having issues with 300BO. Did you find a better bullet or was it the shot placement?
No I didn't have any issues with the 300BO but I've seen other who did have issues putting down hogs with this cartridge. This is the reason I didn't get into hunting with 300BO until very recently. I pick up some Barnes 120gr TTSX (I couldn't find any 110gr version) ammo and used it on my first hog 3 weeks ago. One shot on a running hog from 60-70 yards and it went down immediately. It was a good hit on the head...complete penetration from right to left but I was not impressed with the exit wound. Again, the shot placement was everything.
Have you tried any of the Underwood controlled chaos ammo for 300 BO?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
No, only other ammo I've shot with my rifle is the Remington/UMC 120gr OTFP for range and target practice. This OTFB bullet is basically ball ammo but it shoot very accurately in my AR. I'll stick with the Barnes 120gr TTSX for now and shoot couple more hogs before I make up my mind about continuing to use it. I like to try different guns and I have some handguns I want to move on to soon.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Post Reply