Took my 6.5Grendel Hunting

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
arkhangel5

Took my 6.5Grendel Hunting

Post by arkhangel5 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:01 am

Well, the 6.5Grendel did well at hunting.

Shot 2 does, first at ~120yds, 2nd at ~90yds, using Factory Hornady 123gr SST hunting ammo. Out of my rifle doing ~2470fps.

Doe#1 spun in place and died, no running. Bullet exited left shoulder.
Image[/URL]

Doe#2, shot was a little further back than I liked, exited right shoulder, ran about 50yds .
Image[/URL]

Very fun round to shoot.

Hunting was in Texas over the Thanksgiving holiday. Friend of mine has a little 500 acre ranch.

Weather was kind of warm before Thanksgiving so the deer were not moving much, but it cooled down then they started moving again.

On a side note with the warm weather, I was cleaning doe#2 at nite and need to get something out of storage shed.

Lite was off as I went in and fumbled around for the switch, I turn it on and hear something.

Look down and I had stepped over this!
Image[/URL]

Needless to say, I beat feet out of shed. Friend's husband came and killed it with a shovel and axe. He remarked later that it was lucky it didn't bite me, as instead of sitting eating dinner we would have been at hospital. I was not wearing high boots at the time.

Overall, a very interesting Thanksgiving trip.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Took my 6.5Grendel Hunting

Post by avmech » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:20 am

Well done. The Grendel did well. :ber
One of these I will connect with my 6.8, have to make time to be able to get out in the woods!

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Thx AvM,
I was really loved how this combo worked.

This is my competition rifle that I shoot out to 600yds in NRA AR-Tactical matches. It was built primarily for that, but also to try a little hunting if presented.

It is an accurate little round, even going at what I consider slow speeds. It will hold sub moa out to 600yds. That it exited both deer surprised me.

This rifle has over 600+ rounds thru it since I built it back in April. No issues at all loading for it, and the rifle has functioned 100%.

I liked it so much, I may never take my .308's out hunting again.

Would love to see you post up something with the 6.8.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

creophus
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by creophus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks for posting this. I went hunting recently with a 6.5 Grendel, a 30-06 and my trusted 6.5x55 Swede. We had three hunters in our party and while our host wanted me to take a deer with the Grendel it was decided that it would be better suited for the 10 year old girl in our hunting party. He backed her up with the 06 and I with the Swede.

I was the only one who got a shot at a deer (dropped a small buck with one shot at 130 yards). So I have no first hand knowledge of what the Grendel does on game as of yet.

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 pm

Hey Creo,
I would have no reservation about the Grendel inside of 300yds. That is how much I liked it.

I would also agree with your friend that it is perfect for a younger hunter to use, lo recoil and very accurate.

Here is a pic of the exit on the first doe, she was the larger one. Shot was around ~120ish yds.
Image[/URL]

One other thing I will note, on this shot with the low recoil, I was able to watch the hit and watch the doe spin in place and die. And having another round ready to go w/o having to work a bolt is ideal.

I only have a flash suppressor on this rifle, not a muzzle brake, not needed with this calibre in a AR platform IMO.

Would love you to see you post something up with yours if you ever get a chance.

SY

creophus
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by creophus » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:06 am

arkhangel5 wrote:Hey Creo,
I would have no reservation about the Grendel inside of 300yds. That is how much I liked it.

I would also agree with your friend that it is perfect for a younger hunter to use, lo recoil and very accurate.

Here is a pic of the exit on the first doe, she was the larger one. Shot was around ~120ish yds.
Image[/URL]

One other thing I will note, on this shot with the low recoil, I was able to watch the hit and watch the doe spin in place and die. And having another round ready to go w/o having to work a bolt is ideal.

I only have a flash suppressor on this rifle, not a muzzle brake, not needed with this calibre in a AR platform IMO.

Would love you to see you post something up with yours if you ever get a chance.

SY
Wow, looks like you and that round did a bang up job on that doe. Good to know! Will post something if I can get back out in the woods again soon.

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:34 pm

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Hehe Nic,
I am looking at your chart and assuming you use 500 ft/lbs as your threshold for taking the shot.

I use double that and 300yds since that is easily managed with the Grendel, but is nice knowing there is a cushion.

It cannot be seen easily in the pics, but my rifle has a Seekins competition handguard, with the flat bottom meant for shooting off barricades, or windowsills. The windowsill part is why I chose it, since I shoot out of a stationery blind.

Resting on the windowsill made the shot ridiculously easy, as I was that stable.

I shoot this rifle out to 600yds all the time and it will shoot sub moa if the shooter is up to the task. Love it!

SY