If you need some cheap game/trail cameras

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
rug357

If you need some cheap game/trail cameras

Post by rug357 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:43 pm

If you can use some cheap game/trail cameras of decent quality, Walmart is having clearance sale on the basic TASCO 3mp trail cameras.
It's this camera
They were $35 before but now they are clearing them out at just $25 each at the stores near me. I've had one for about 2 months and while the image quality is not great the image is good enough for most hunting applications.
Here is are two random pics from my camera
The distance from the camera to the pine tree in the image is about 24 feet (8 steps). The camera is only 3mp and it only takes pictures, no video. It's very basic camera with no other feature. It does show the moon phase on each image if you set the date on the camera. The IR flash has effective range of about 30 feet. It takes 8 AA batteries and they seem to last long time as mine took 1,008 pictures in 22 days and the batter is still at 89%. Mine was exposed to pretty harsh rain several times during 3 weeks it was left out but the rubber seal kept everything dry inside.
I picked up 3 more yesterday.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

itsnunya
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: If you need some cheap game/trail cameras

Post by itsnunya » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:36 pm

This is an interesting topic for me at the moment, as I have had several of the Wildgame Innovations cameras that have been acting up lately ($75-$90 each). Such as not taking pics unless within 2-3ft of the camera or randomly shutting off. These cameras are 2-4 yrs old on average and have been in use almost year round. I am not sure if it is camera quality or merely degradation due to age. I do have a Moultrie camera that is easily 4 years old and works as well as the day I bought it, which has been exposed to the same year round exposure to elements. I recently picked up another Moultrie, but have not had it long enough to really comment on its reliability. On average I have about 7-8 cameras running year round.

Nothing worse than going to the hunting club after a few weeks to check on the wildlife's interest in food plots, feeders, etc. only to find that the camera has stopped working even though they have new batteries.

edit: Wildgame not Wildlife
NRA Life Member

cvasqu03
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cvasqu03 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:22 am

I need a couple of these to catch who's been doing all the illegal dumping outside my house.

How high do they have to be mounted?
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 am

just be prepared to loose them if you plan to use them to catch someone, these take pictures therefor the flash activates at night , mine looks like a mini strobe, any thief, or illegal dumper will surely look for it and destroy/take it ...for your type of activity you might wanna get one that blends in and uses IR, but you can still see the red glow at night ....YMMV
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

itsnunya
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by itsnunya » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:27 am

They actually make some cameras that use IR and are not supposed to have a visible flash, but they are more expensive. They use the term "No Glow" for the ones with no visible flash. I have not personally used one of these, but have thought about it.

Here are some examples (ranging from $130-$1200):
http://www.trailcampro.com/noglowirtrailcameras.aspx
NRA Life Member

rug357

Post by rug357 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:43 am

I have no idea how long these will work in the woods but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't last for few years as the rubber gasket looks okay and the cover fits tight. I also have boomboom's Moultrie out there and it's 3 or 4 years old but still takes great pictures. bfips had a Moultrie out at his lease continuously for 3 years before it crapped out but I think it was due to a cow stepping on it. Again, these cameras don't take great pictures due to low resolution camera but are good enough for my purpose. I also don't need video capability. All I need are decent pictures with date and time stamp and these do that. For $25 each I'll take my chances with them and hopefully they'll work okay for 2 or 3 years.

FYI. These cameras are silent and have IR flash so there is no "light" when it flashes at night. Only way you know the camera took a picture is a small red LED glows for about 2 seconds. They can be used as "security" camera but you'll want to touch it up a bit with colors to blend in with the area and use different mounting strap as the one that comes with it is black and it stand out.

BTW. has anybody else seen these at their local Walmart? My friend at Sebring said he found left 2 at local Walmart there but another friend at Seffner/Brandon said his local Walmart didn't have any.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:54 am

cvasqu03 wrote:I need a couple of these to catch who's been doing all the illegal dumping outside my house.

How high do they have to be mounted?
Yes, you can use them as "security" camera. They use IR flash at low light/night so you don't have the "light" going off. They are silent and pretty small so you can hide them and nobody will know it's taking pictures. You can mount them at any height but I usually mount them about 3 feet off the ground so it covers maximum area. If you point them up or down you'll cover less area. My only concern would be the picture resolution...it may not pickup the license plate numbers/letters clearly enough if it's more than 20-30 feet away.

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:02 pm

Went to the one a mile from my house this morning on the way to work. I didn't find any nor did I see anyone in the area that worked in sporting goods to ask.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

cvasqu03
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cvasqu03 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:33 am

I went to the one in Kendall and couldn't find it but I wasn't really sure where it would be. I looked through all the camping, fishing and shooting stuff and to the garden section.

Where did you find the one you got?
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:00 am

Found one in black last night at $49 along with a couple other brands. I found them with all the odds and ends hunting stuff. The sporting goods worker and another guy didn't know where they were until I pointed them out.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:52 am

I found them at the Walmart in west Pembroke Pines and at the one next to Pro-Player Stadium in Miami Garden. There were 2 at the Miami Garden store this weekend but I took both. One at Pembroke Pines had about 15 on Saturday. I went to Pembroke Pines store this morning to pick up 3 for a friend and they had 6 left...only left 3 now. Back when they were $35 they were in the glass display case with scopes and other optics in the sporting goods dept. but when they were lowered to $25 they were relocated to the back of the sporting goods department where all the clearance items were displayed on the pegboard. I was told the Walmart in Sebring is sold out.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:25 pm

checked my walmart and nope
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 pm

Maybe it's limited to South FL. I just got back from Walmart at Miami Garden (441 NW 170 Street) and they had 3 in display case. They were marked $35 but they ring up as $25.

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Rug, don't make a special trip but if you are in a Wallymart and you see some, grab a couple for me. We'll use them somewhere, and I still have 4 new SD cards for us to use.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:32 pm

Okay, I'll grab couple on the way home tonight.

TC6969
Life Member
Life Member

Post by TC6969 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:40 pm

Rentprop1 wrote:just be prepared to loose them if you plan to use them to catch someone,
Cant you just tighten them up if they're loose?

What if you wanted to take a pic of a goose or a moose off the back of a caboose?

Get a rope and tie a noose?

A nice loose noose?
Late mergers should be shot in the face, then set on fire and hung from an overpass. /:f

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Is that East coast or West coast wanna be gangster rap... [smilie=011.gif]

I can't get rid of the word loose from spell checker can I ??

rug357

Post by rug357 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:46 pm

* UPDATE *

I've been running 4 of these game cameras out in the woods for 3 weeks and they are all working great. Despite the strong wind and rain last week all my cameras didn't leak and withstood the weather. My only disappointment is that the IR flash range is a less than 30 feet as specified and closer to 25 feet but they work okay for most night shots.

One thing I had to do was to paint the outside of the camera to match the surrounding colors as the brown color stick out in the woods and more importantly I painted over the black strap as I can see them from 100 yards. I didn't want them sticking out for somebody to snatch them so I did some camo work on them. Some green and OD spray paint made them blend in pretty good with surrounding plants.

One camera took 4,000+ pics in 3 weeks and it's still going strong on original 8 cheap Chinese AA batteries. I think with good Duracell or Energizer batteries they should be good for 8,000+ shots. Each 4GB SD cards holds about 1,300 images so I use 4GB cards in most areas and 8GB cards in busy areas and so far I've never run out of storage space. All the images were clear enough to identify individual animals in day and night shots. So far I'm happy with how they've worked out for me.