advice on sleeping cots

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
jalais

advice on sleeping cots

Post by jalais » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 pm

never used one and always managed to get an inflatable mattress to camps. would be great to try a sleeping cot for a change but have zero experience with them. any suggestions? I'm under 6ft but heavy set. thanks/

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Re: advice on sleeping cots

Post by Odessaman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Cots that offer any decent support are bulky and heavy. Have you considered a hammock? The older I get, the less I like sleeping on the ground. Long gone are the days when I'd fall into a sleeping bag on an air mattress or foam pad and get anything resembling a decent night's sleep. A couple of years ago, I tried a Hennessey Hammock, and that's the only way I'll camp from now on - as long as I've got two upright supports to string it between.

No tent, no ground cloth. No more worries about rocks or tree roots poking my back or flash floods soaking my sleeping bag. And you don't need level ground - just two trees or posts. I've seen soldiers string them up between two vehicles. I've slept in the hammock through heavy rain and stayed perfectly dry, cool and bug-free.

The whole thing, including the rain fly, fits into a bag about the size of a basketball.
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

jalais

Post by jalais » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:51 pm

thats interesting and truth be told it didnt even cross my mind. I'll check around a bit thanks/

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:13 pm

get the misquito tented ones. small clips to hang bags of stuff inside and youll be happier than anyone else in camp. even if you sleep inside..it aint a bad gig. I have gotten a sore back tho if ya git alotta sag
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

lucy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lucy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Cool video from the UF Hammock club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbiAlfqKAig

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Odessaman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:12 pm

~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

jalais

Post by jalais » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:31 am

I think the biggest issue is for someone who sleeps on their side or tummy as opposed to back all the time but wouldnt hurt to try in my opinion/