Who knows kingfish?

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
Droknows
Life Member
Life Member

Who knows kingfish?

Post by Droknows » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:34 pm

My uncle has been bothering me the last few weeks about when kingfish start running. He's been reminiscing about fishing trips 40 yrs ago off Clearwater. Any idea when they're "running" and where's a good place to go? Thanks in advance

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Who knows kingfish?

Post by Doyle » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Kings can be present in your area all year round but the large schools of them winter in the keys and go up to the northern gulf for the summer. Thus, they pass by in bulk twice a year. Serious king fishers (those fishing tournamanets) will run a hundred miles or more offshore chasing schools of baitfish.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:18 pm

for some reason they lurk around where water treatment outflow pipes dump back into the ocean , don't ask me why but there are places off Clearwater and also in So Fla where Kings are present year round
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

MiamiE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by MiamiE » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Like Doyle said they move a couple times a year. We have caught them almost every month of the year that I can remember. In the winter they are thickest down here off Miami and the Keys. Leaving a flat line out when bottom fishing usually does the trick, although I hate wasting goggle eyes on kingfish ($$$) but you never know what will hit the flat line! :ber

rug357

Post by rug357 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 am

One sure method is to chum with live pilchards/sardines or other small silvery fish while drifting and then freeline one with hook nearby.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Droknows
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Droknows » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:45 am

I appreciate the heads up. Gonna do some more reading

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:21 am

It's mostly a matter of having a nice fresh bait in the water when a king swims by. Lots of kings are hauled over the rail at the longer piers this time of year, so it's not only a boater's game.

and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

snookslayer7726

Post by snookslayer7726 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Biggest numbers when water temps are between 68-72. There is a big spring and fall run as they move north/south following the warm/cool water and bait. Traditionally, St.Pattys day kicks off the spring run. They are around offshore all summer as long as there is bait.