Squirrel Population Down???

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
JBubba57

Squirrel Population Down???

Post by JBubba57 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:38 am

Has anyone noticed a drop in squirrel numbers this season, at least in North Florida. During the fall while deer hunting, I saw almost no squirrels, and usually I see loads (and I went to the usual places), and the last small game outing with beautiful weather recently I saw only 2 and my buddy saw only 4. It just seems that there are many fewer than in previous years. I'm not seeing as many hickory nuts and acorns on the trees and ground, to boot.
Anyone else have an opinion or observation on this?

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Squirrel Population Down???

Post by flcracker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:39 am

Acorn crops go through boom and bust cycles. Some years the ground at our place on the Suwannee is covered in the big white oak acorns, some years hardly any.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:27 am

hawks gotta eat too :-k

I feed the squirrels via the bird feeders here at my place, I learned if you feed them a 20-30 yds away from your home they stay away from your roof, eaves, attics etc...I notice more or less that the size changes about every 6 months or so, new breed coming up through the ranks I guess
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Polk County Hillbilly

Post by Polk County Hillbilly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:30 pm

They moved to town.
Montani Semper Liberi!

JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:12 am

flcracker wrote:Acorn crops go through boom and bust cycles. Some years the ground at our place on the Suwannee is covered in the big white oak acorns, some years hardly any.
It was near Mayo I was hunting last.

t_bare

Post by t_bare » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 pm

I hunt in Mayo. Your squirrels must have found my feeder. Tons of those noisy little bastards. Your cardinals are there too, why can't they just land instead of crashing into everything? _:

t_bare