anybody squirrel hunt

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

anybody squirrel hunt

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:04 pm

I think it might be a good time to get my 7 yr old into it. he keeps asking about going hunting. rabbits are pretty scarce.

first off tho

do I need a license

and can we take a fox squirrel..the big giant brown ones

nothing really sure bout the fox on fwc...as for the license...its private property and I doubt anyone would even know..

theyre in season next week...his bday is the 20th he will be 8....
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Re: anybody squirrel hunt

Post by captain steinbrenner » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:44 pm

Are you guys eating them?
I've heard they're very tasty.
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin

kbeck76

Post by kbeck76 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Fox squirrels are a protected species. I hunted most of my younger years for small game. I have killed many squirrels but I wouldn't hunt until the weather cools down more. Early season squirrels are more likely to have wolves (parasites) and it's very hard to see the squirrels when the trees are still full of leaves.

My grandfather and father started most of the kids hunting squirrels when we were 7 or 8. I can still remember going with them and learning to be still (hard). We hunted with single shot 410 or 20 gauge shotguns.

Good luck with your hunt.

From the Florida Hunter's Education Course:

Fox Squirrel
The eastern fox squirrel is generally twice as large as the gray squirrel. In the southeast, a fox squirrel's body may be variously colored with mixtures of red, yellow, white and black and the head more or less black with white on the nose and ears. There is no hunting season on fox squirrels in Florida; the species is protected.

Kevin

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:01 pm

yea I found the fox squirrel thing after a bit of searching.

grays we're gonna try to eat em. im not going to kill anything w/o eating it..cept for them f'n hogs. lots of acorns on the ground already. i think it will be easier for him if theyre foraging nstead of up in the trees. we'll git out there bout dusk

figured id take him for his 8th birthday. hes got a 22 with a red dot on it...we'll work on is technique for a wk or 2 til the 20th. hes off school im off work..be a good day for us I hope

i think he will have a hrad timewith the patience thing. took him with me to wait out some hogs one night he lasted about 20 mins after the half hr walk in.
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:28 pm

it is a big ask getting an 8 year to sit still and be quiet....

kbeck76

Post by kbeck76 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Your son will have an easier time with a shotgun than with a 22 LR. A 20 gauge with #6 or #7.5 is much easier for a kid to hit with. Also if the squirrels are plentiful it might be easier to walk them up (walking and watching for squirrels to move) than sitting still and waiting for them. If the squirrels are like the city squirrels in my back yard you could probably kill them with a tennis racket.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:22 pm

i know..he still got ants in his pants

i think we might do the walk stalk..theres alot of em..but they aint park squirrels...

were gonna start by practicing with the cricket and then going for a walk w/o shooting
im the other gary...

einstein

rug357

Post by rug357 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:35 pm

That reminds me...I got to get my 8 y/o son into something like this too.
Gotta get him out doors and let him enjoy the nature.
Shooting at live target is just the icing on the cake.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 pm

i plant the seeds..just like the quad racing...i dont let hin have electronics cept to pass the time on the ride to town..35 mins ea way...and while hes at day care..otherwise he better be outside doing something

i hope gets into the squirrel thing..he likes shooting but not the bolt action

i got a savage 22 hornet with a 16 ga barrel break action but i thik its worth like 700 bucks...i guess he can shoot it tho eventually if it isnt too long..
im the other gary...

einstein

rug357

Post by rug357 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 pm

My son likes the bolt action rifles.
I told him all the snipers use bolt action rifles...what kid doesn't want to be a sniper [smilie=011.gif]
He has pair of bolt action rimfire rifles and a bolt action 410 shotgun. _:
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

usaf46270
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: North Swamp Land "Nassauville" "Fernandina"for those that dont know"

Post by usaf46270 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:53 am

Take grays, fry them them then use the grease bits for gravy. Can't beat it.
TSgt, USAF Retired
Life Member NRA/DAV

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wanye

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:03 am

usaf46270 wrote:Take grays, fry them them then use the grease bits for gravy. Can't beat it.
i hear dat boss
im the other gary...

einstein

Legal Alien
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Legal Alien » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:43 am

Is it worth a trip to any of the South FL WMA's to look for squirrels or rabbits?

Such as Corbett or Dupuis?

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:23 pm

idk personally..we hnt them in the pasture..im so dam lucky
im the other gary...

einstein

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:30 am

kbeck76 wrote: If the squirrels are like the city squirrels in my back yard you could probably kill them with a tennis racket.
Reminds me of squirrels at UCF. you can get within 3 feet of them and they dont flinch.
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Orlando Paulitician wrote:
kbeck76 wrote: If the squirrels are like the city squirrels in my back yard you could probably kill them with a tennis racket.
Reminds me of squirrels at UCF. you can get within 3 feet of them and they dont flinch.
A peanut on a fly rod with a 2# leader is sporting fun. Or so I've heard.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!