Frog Pond dove hunt

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
MiamiE
Life Member
Life Member

Frog Pond dove hunt

Post by MiamiE » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Any of you all ever been to Frog Pond? I have a permit there for Saturday dove hunt. Never been out there, but I cant wait!

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Frog Pond dove hunt

Post by Nicolas » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:33 am

give us a report after the trip [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif] don't forget pictures as well [smilie=021.gif]

bow777

Post by bow777 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:51 pm

I heard was not good

MiamiE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by MiamiE » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:46 am

I thought it was good. I shot a box of shells and only got two birds. My wing shooting skills suck but it's only my first time out. Lost a couple birds in the thick stuff unfortunately. Some guys limited out also. I can't complain got to shoot a lot but you gotta be on point.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:07 am

Oh those dove can flap their wings pretty damn quick when they want to. _:

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:43 am

Are you talking about the area that is on the north side of the road just east of The Park entrance? If so, it's the only Frog Pond I know of. We had a hydrology research project out there for years.

There's a dike on the west end. Pythons on top (or just off the sides). Lots of gators on the other side (west side) of the dike.
There's a storm coming.

MiamiE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by MiamiE » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Thats the place. There is no "pond" there that I could see. Its an old ag field that has been planted with millet and wheat by FWC. I forgot to take a drive down that other levy to check it out. Will try it next time in case I run across a python.

There were telling me that east side has a LOT of rattlesnakes and we even saw a doe feeding out there.

czharry
Life Member
Life Member

Post by czharry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:13 pm

If you drive in, then when you get to the first canal on the left (west) and turn left (on the south side of the canal), drive all the way to the dike.
If you drive over the dike, the trail gets a little wild. If it's sort of wet, you could find gators and other wildlife. You should turn around when the canal ends. It may be totally overgrown now that we haven't used it for a few years.
Alternate route: When you get on top of the dike, you can drive along it(south) for a while until you have to turn left and exit the top. Pythons have been spotted there and off to the right side, but no guarantees. It all belongs to SFWMD.
There's a storm coming.

JBubba57

Post by JBubba57 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:48 am

MiamiE wrote:I thought it was good. I shot a box of shells and only got two birds. My wing shooting skills suck but it's only my first time out. Lost a couple birds in the thick stuff unfortunately. Some guys limited out also. I can't complain got to shoot a lot but you gotta be on point.
I read many years ago that the national hunter average for shots fired to doves harvested is about 8:1. If the daily bag limit is 12 (was that in TN), that's 4 boxes of shells a day (100 shells). Growing up in East Tennessee, I used to shoot 3-5 boxes a hunt, so that always seemed right to me. My best day EVER was one December there over freshly sewn winter wheat. There was a light crunchy sparse layer of snow on the ground, the sun was shining, and there was no breeze. I got 7 doves my first 8 shots! After that, I lost my cool and ended up with my usual shot:kill ratio.

I've had three good dove hunts in FL over 12 years. One was at a private home with only 4 shooters, where they were coming to a little pond. The other two was at a farm where I sort of suspect there was more on the ground than there should have been, but I didn't know for sure. All I did know was I couldn't keep my gun loaded!