Fl rural property ownership and deer/hogs

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Fl rural property ownership and deer/hogs

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:45 am

Is it possible to find a sub, 50K$ property in Florida and have (for a single household) an endless supply of meat?

I'm thinking along the lines of Feral Hogs, but also deer during the proper season?

Also, has anyone had more experience making their property more commuted by wildlife by planting food the hogs and deer like to eat?

How expensive is creating such a property likely to be?
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Fl rural property ownership and deer/hogs

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:36 pm

something along the lines of the state forests should be able to pull of what yer looking to do...for 50 k i would think that shouldnt be too hard to pull off
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

JoeCWales
Life Member
Life Member

Post by JoeCWales » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:22 pm

How many acres you gonna get for 50K?
My guess is yer gonna starve.
Critters have a funny way of responding to hunting pressure by running O.F.T.
you'd have a better chance farming tilapia in tanks.

JoeC
"Freedom is only for those with the guts to defend it."

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:23 pm

5 is all you need if the area surrounding you is right..
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

JoeCWales
Life Member
Life Member

Post by JoeCWales » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:30 pm

dieselbeef wrote:5 is all you need if the area surrounding you is right..
And your neighbors are amenable to you poaching deer off their property.
(you might be the one in the pot, not the deer)

We don't take kindly to poachers where I'm from.

JoeC

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:01 pm

i was under the impression that one can hunt hog year round....

hunting hog on one's own property is poaching?

mind you, i'm not a hunter nor have i ever killed an animal, i'm just trying to get a gauge of the possibilities.
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

JoeCWales
Life Member
Life Member

Post by JoeCWales » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Orlando Paulitician wrote:i was under the impression that one can hunt hog year round....

mind you, i'm not a hunter nor have i ever killed an animal, i'm just trying to get a gauge of the possibilities.
No, you are OK to shoot hogs on your own rural property. You will probably do better trapping some. If you are hunting on your neighbor's property, you are poaching. Your neighbor will likely NOT approve.
If you own 5 acres of land in central FLA you will have a hard time keeping the family fed on hog by hunting your own property. You can go ahead and plant whatever you want to attract game, you will still likely starve.
Plant lots of okra and squash.

JoeC

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:01 pm

JoeCWales wrote:
Orlando Paulitician wrote:i was under the impression that one can hunt hog year round....

No, you are OK to shoot hogs on your own rural property. You will probably do better trapping some. If you are hunting on your neighbor's property, you are poaching. Your neighbor will likely NOT approve.
If you own 5 acres of land in central FLA you will have a hard time keeping the family fed on hog by hunting your own property. You can go ahead and plant whatever you want to attract game, you will still likely starve.
Plant lots of okra and squash.

JoeC
I believe I am miscommunicating my point. when I say feed a family an endless supply of meat,

I mean: family=3 or 4 people, and

endless supply=1 or 2 hogs a month.

And i certainly did not want to buy this property in Central Florida. I was thinking along the lines of the Panhandle or the Everglades....

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:09 am

you will def do better in eithera rea. personally i would earchthe edges ofthe ocala forest or some smaller designated areas. i also am against poaching. i think the op said they were gonna hunt deer during season.

planned right in the right area 5 ac can become a pretty good spot . i dont think youre gonna bild a house and a barn and live there as a farmer and get what ya want...maybe slide a small trlr into it w/o a lot of impact..in an area you have scouted..its possible i think...look for water
im the other gary...

einstein

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:37 am

Look for property towards LaBelle or Immokalee.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 am

dieselbeef wrote: i dont think youre gonna bild a house and a barn and live there as a farmer
Not initially, no. I was thinking, buy a house in the rural 'burbs within 30 minute driving distance (i'm leaning more towards everglades, because as a future CPA, there would be better jobs in miami probably), and at MOST, i would buy a cheaper micro home to stay in comfort on the weekends. but the micro home might wait a decade or more.

and I like the Ocala idea. within driving distance of Orlando.

Also, when I graduate, it is highly likely i wont stay in florida. i'm considering either moving to Tx or Ga, 2 of the best states for job opportunites. but i wanted to get a gauge of how doable this idea was in florida. i'm sure the combined hunting knowledge of those who replied in this thread added together exceeds my years on this earth, so the responses from all are greatly appreciated. :ber
Last edited by Orlando Paulitician on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:43 am

30 min of most ares wont be in your price range. right now 45 mins...35 mi out of bradenton you could find it..maybe...but i doubt in that area...developers will be eyeing areas close to make a 20-30 min drive keeping prices up
im the other gary...

einstein

23Preacher
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 23Preacher » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:39 pm

55 minutes to DT Orlando,45 to Daytona airport,30 into Mt.Dora and this P.M. as I walked in my yard with the dog,there were 7 deer,some close enough to use my .45 just on the other side of the fence,easy pickin's.

Skeezix
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Skeezix » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:45 pm

I have deer in my backyard all the time and I live in Jacksonville.
Maybe I should move to the country. :ber

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Even in the best hog area, you'd be hard pressed to take 1 or 2 hogs each month off of only a 5 acre property. Hogs get smart when they are pressured. The only way to hold them to that small of a parcel where you can shoot them will be with lots of corn. At the current price of about $8/bag you'll wind up spending far more buying enough corn to keep them coming back to your property than you would if you just used that same money to buy slaughter hogs.

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:29 pm

I want to ask an unrelated question, but i really don't want to start another thread:

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/taking-game/
Centerfire semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds when hunting deer
With a valid hunting license, hunting on public property, it is LEGAL, to hunt hogs with 30 round mags?

i wouldnt plan on actually filling them to capacity, but as long as they are legal to hunt hogs (i dont plan on hunting deer any time soon), i wouldnt need 5 rounders?

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:22 am

I am not a lawyer but I did have a few drinks with a few in the past, so I would say that if you are out during deer season, the 30 round mag would be a no-no. Now for about $13, you can buy a 5 round mag then you won't have to worry.

I just ordered five-5 rounders, eight-10 round PMags, and shipping was $2.99, plus Fl tax.
http://www.magcommander.com/collections ... 5-magazine

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:32 am

what boomboom said, don't screw around with limiters and ruin a good 30 round mag, plus who wants that goofy long ass mag hanging out the bottom, no one needs to look tacticool while hunting [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:53 am

So, legal, but ill-advised because of the persisting existence of Law Enforcement PC (how do they know if you're hunting hogs v. deer, or would they even care...)

what about private property? would it still matter?

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:18 am

Private property use anything you want for hunting hogs, I'm not sure if the 5 round requirement for deer extends to private property (I don't hunt deer). Give FWC a call and follow their advice. If they say it's okay, I'd ask that they send something in writing for you to have out in the field.

Personally thinking, why beat yourself up for less than $17 including tax and shipping?