Who goes hog hunting?

The trials and tribulations of the great outdoors.
flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Who goes hog hunting?

Postby flcracker » Tue May 16, 2017 1:09 pm

My trip fell through - the guide lost access after two idiots that he had out there shot a cow for fun. Waiting for a redo.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Nicolas » Thu May 18, 2017 8:57 am

rug357 wrote:
Davegot2P wrote:well, at least Bill can cook a good breakfast

You call PopTarts and coffee a good breakfast?!?!?!

I was so full I broke my chair ..... =:e :ham'r

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Nicolas » Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 am

flcracker wrote:My trip fell through - the guide lost access after two idiots that he had out there shot a cow for fun. Waiting for a redo.

That is insane.... Gotta hear the full story

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cubanstang50 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 pm

I primarily duck hunt. When i go deer or hog hunting on a wma i go during the week only. I have seen alot of young weekend hunters f/;k with other hunters trucks specially at corbett. Also, if you go on myfwc.com you can put in for the fall season for deer and hog and gator quotas are also up. You got 4 days left to put in for phase 1.
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Orlando Paulitician » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:02 pm

While all the hog experts are in the thread, might as well redirect for a question.

I've never been hunting before, but I'm trying hard to make this year the first year I go hunting. I have bow and general gun tags (both deer and hog) for Pipeline, Tesotoochie (or something like that), and Salt Lake.

I was out at Salt Lake today, and when I got about 2 miles into the heart of the WMA, in the bushy fields in between South and Salt lakes, every 100 feet there'd be dozens of hog tracks. But I didn't see any actual hogs.

Do hogs move a lot? so it's possible that there's a less hogs than there are tracks and their movement is just contributing to more tracks?

Also, what's the best time to hunt for them? early morning/late afternoon?
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.

Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

rug357

Postby rug357 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Orlando Paulitician wrote: when I got about 2 miles into the heart of the WMA, in the bushy fields in between South and Salt lakes, every 100 feet there'd be dozens of hog tracks. But I didn't see any actual hogs.

Do hogs move a lot? so it's possible that there's a less hogs than there are tracks and their movement is just contributing to more tracks?

Also, what's the best time to hunt for them? early morning/late afternoon?

The "golden hour" for hunting is about 30 minutes before sunrise to about 30 minutes after sunrise. Then in the evening about 45 minutes before sunset to about 15 minutes after sunset. I've never seen hogs move during hard rain, windy and/or thunder and lightning storm but frequently they will be active during the day after rain storm when everything is calm.

What do you mean by "bushy fields"? If you are talking about pasture with tall grass then what you found is most likely "trails" that hogs use to travel from one location to another. If you look at the track do they indicate hogs are traveling in one direction or both direction? It only takes few hogs to put down a lot of tracks if they are coming and going in same trail. In most cases you will not find hogs to hunt in such places as they are most likely to be moving in the dark when people are not around. Follow one of those trails to see where it lead you. You want to hunt areas where hogs feed or come to drink...where they hang out for a while. Look for areas that were recently rooted up or source of water whey they had wallowed recently. Set up in those areas way before the golden hour and wait.

Some hogs move a lot while others don't move very far. I know of some hogs that don't travel more than just few hundred yards a day as they are permanent resident hogs with food, water and hiding spots all within a small area. Lone boars are more likely to travel wide areas as they are in constant search for sows in heat. I remember reading about couple boars that were tagged by FWC with radio transmitter and they determined that most boars travelled about 5 miles a day with most travelling at night but some travelled as much as 12 miles in 24 hours. I think weather plays a role too as they do not walk around when there is a lot of rain, windy and/or thunder/lightning.

It's rare to see hogs out in the open field during daylight hours except during the golden hour. During the day I've mostly found hogs moving around in the hammocks and wooded areas after rain storm. By the way, a hog in hiding will frequently stay put when people walk by as he feels secure in his hiding.

When hunting hogs (and most other mammals) hunt the wind as they have very good sense of smell. They can smell you from mile away if you are up wind of them. Keep the wind on your nose so you are down wind of them. Their eye sight is not very good but they can detect motion from pretty far distance.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

rug357

Postby rug357 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Imagine the track a sounder like this would leave behind

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7yPgX ... qlA/videos
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Orlando Paulitician » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:24 pm

rug357 wrote:What do you mean by "bushy fields"? If you are talking about pasture with tall grass then what you found is most likely "trails" that hogs use to travel from one location to another.

Sounds about right.

If you look at the track do they indicate hogs are traveling in one direction or both direction?

The area with the most traffic had tracks in pretty much both directs, East to West. I suspect they were going to South Lake as that was the only lake I got close enough to see, but I can't be too sure.

South lake was maybe 1.5 miles to the east of these tracks. But there was what I think was thick marsh (flooded tall grass) about .75 to the west, perhaps this was the area they were traveling to.

Look for areas that were recently rooted up or source of water whey they had wallowed recently. Set up in those areas way before the golden hour and wait.

I found an area on the trail, that was in the middle of 2 sections of flood trail on either side, where it looked like, for about 50 feet or more, someone had dug about half foot shallow holes with a shovel at 45 degree angles, and then dumped the dirt near the side of to the side. I scouted this area immediately a day after it rained, and the gate was closed to vehicles, so if that had been old, the rain should have leveled out the ground from erosion, no? Does that sound like the damage a hog snout does?

I found this area maybe within .5 mile of the tracks.

Thanks for the helpful advice and wisdom!
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.

Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

rug357

Postby rug357 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm

This is what a typical rooting looks like.
They can be a wide area or sometimes just a narrow area.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/sites/default/files//images/Image/Feral_hogs_7_web.jpg
If the rooting was fresh you should be able to see some hog prints...or snout prints.
Best thing would be to find a tall tree you can use a climber stand on nearby and sit up there early in the morning and evening. If there are hogs around you should be able to see some. They'll most likely move around 30 minutes before sun rise to about 30 minutes after sunrise and then again 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunset. Do set up too close as they may catch your scent from distance and never come your way. You'll be surprised how difficult it could be to see a black animal among bushes and tall grass.

Return to “Hunting, Fishing and Camping”