M14 / M1A

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Jeepsnguns
Location: Relocated from Manatee County Florida to Marion County Oregon

Post by Jeepsnguns »

Gunnyhiway wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:09 am
Jeepsnguns wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:57 pm
This is the ONLY rifle that as soon as I sell one, I feel an immediate void in my being that needs fixing.
And I thought I was the only person who felt that way.

I have never owned any weapon that has had that kind of attachment on me until I bought my first M1A years ago. That rifle was a SAInc. standard circa 1990 and was put together in the "Golden Age" of SA as far as most if not all parts were USGI issue as they were quite abundant at that time.

I have owned, used and had the opportunity to fire many rifles in my day, FALs, M1 Garands, ARs of all types etc. very good ones to be sure but I have never had any model that was made "just for me" like the M14 was.

Call me crazy but It just feels..................right.

Oh yeah, it shoots damn good too !

Gunny
Yeah Gunny, I hear you loud & clear, glad to know there are at least two of us on here that share the same affliction.

On another note, when talking to fellow gun owning co-workers about how much I like (love) the M1-A , the accuracy and almost non-existent recoil for a fairly large caliber rifle, I tend to get a lot of "deer in the headlights" looks from them, they are either shot gun, bolt action or AR aficionados or all three, which is OK.

I have owned a few AR's but they dont hold the same appeal for me as the M1-A.
I'm not saying the modern versions of the AR aren't fine rifles.
There are scores of very sexy variations of the AR out there.

This might sound crazy to most folks but the "ka-chunk ka-chunk" I hear when shooting the M1-A puts a big smile on my face compared to the "twang twang" I hear when shooting the AR. :lol:

Jeeps
dammitgriff

Post by dammitgriff »

Jeeps—I agree with you.
Mcflury

Post by Mcflury »

I have had many rifles through the years. But was always drawn to the shoot ability of the M1A. Eventually I sold or traded most of all the other types while the M14 types continue to multiply. Just finished building my first Bula.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

I gotta dust off my old Polytech one of these days, I don't think I've shot it in 10+ years.
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

NorincoKid wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:00 pm I gotta dust off my old Polytech one of these days, I don't think I've shot it in 10+ years.

You best get her out soon or you'll have to pop that cherry again if ya don't !!! :mrgreen:

Run an greasy swab down her barrel, hit her with some grease and go get her hot again. It will all come back to you.
"It feels like the first time" as the song goes. You will realize how much you miss her as soon as you put a round down her pipe...................... :lol:

Gunny

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
hurricanecharlie

Post by hurricanecharlie »

Apparently you have never owned a quality FAL or L1A1 Belgian or Aussie.
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

hurricanecharlie wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 pm Apparently you have never owned a quality FAL or L1A1 Belgian or Aussie.
I gotta get off my ass and finish up the FAL I have. IMBEL gear logo receiver, STG guts and barrel, shortened to 16"
Gunnyhiway

Post by Gunnyhiway »

hurricanecharlie wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 pm Apparently you have never owned a quality FAL or L1A1 Belgian or Aussie.
I owned 2 STG58s. Great top of the line rifles but not like my M14s.

I worked up loads for both of them , never got the accuracy out of either.

I used my M14s in all the HP matches I shot. I saw quite a few M14s, lots of ARs but never a FAL.

That in itself says something.

Sorry but reality is just that. Even my beloved M14s are now only used by very few shooters. ARs have taken over. I hate to admit it but they are getting more out of the ARs than the M14s and its variants.

Times a changin................

"I do not want to die, but if they try to disarm me, I will surely die that day."
"Guns Don't Kill People, Husbands That Come Home Early Kill People"

ROLL TIDE !
Mohel_Knives

Post by Mohel_Knives »

Been gone a while but in my absence I did finally get a M1A Scout after years of lusting for one. Here is with my SandmanK but I just changed it back to the stock FH. The can is great with 300blk out but I need s longer model for this gun. Image
Ira G
Mohel Knives
I know stuff and can do things

My Name is Ira and I am a 1911 addict!!
durabledan

Post by durabledan »

I just sold Custom built gov. model 45 back to its maker and it left a void that needed filling.
Always thought about an M1A in some kind of variation,so I ordered a Scout Squad in standard configuration with black synthetic stock on Saturday.
Now seeing that its in stock condition it will need to be updated/improved as money and time permit.
Have had my share of varied firearms over the years and have got the most enjoyment from those that needed improvement/updating.
Going to pick it up in Lakeworth on Saturday fire a few rounds on the indoor range to check function. After that need to find an outdoor range to check the accuracy out of that stock configuration.
Any suggestions to improve accuracy,performance,function and form would be well received.

Thanks Roy